• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits don't like me?

Stormhunt1

New Kit
hello I have two pet rabbits one male and another female, I've always kept them outside in the garden since I don't have room In my house, everyday I go outside and feed them pellets and some cloves I that I find on the grass, but here's the problem they aren't afraid to come to me for food but if I wanted to pet them they get scared also when I try to bend down to place food for them they run away from me and when they do comeback while they're eating they let me touch them sometimes but I want them to feel comfortable around me and I want them to come upto me and let me touch them.

I was just hoping someone can help me with the problem thanks. =]

Also the female is pregnant I saw her nesting the other day ( they live under my house)

Rabbits are prey animals and as such they are not as friendly as a dog for instance. Some of my rabbits are getting older now but they still run away from me, it's just what they are like. What are you going to do about your rabbits as the doe can get pregnant straight away after having her babies. Also, sometimes, the male will kill the babies. You need to have the boy neutered now as you could soon be overrun with rabbits.

Not all rabbits are people-friendly, but I'd say try not to touch them for a while. Just sit and let them be with you so they can learn to trust you.

I agree with tonibun on the neutering too.

Rabbits are prey animals and as such they are not as friendly as a dog for instance. Some of my rabbits are getting older now but they still run away from me, it's just what they are like. What are you going to do about your rabbits as the doe can get pregnant straight away after having her babies. Also, sometimes, the male will kill the babies. You need to have the boy neutered now as you could soon be overrun with rabbits.

I agree with the above.

If you let your female near the male after she gives birth she will be immediately pregnant again, then she will have two sets of kits to care for and the same thing will keep happening until you are overrun.

You need to separate them and allow mum to have her kits, the kits to get to 8 weeks and then for all rabbits to be neutered. Mum will most likely not be friendly right now because she is pregnant and hormonal, although as Toni says, rabbits aren't know to be cuddly towards people.

I don't know what you mean by they live under the house? They should ideally be in a secure enclosure? x

You should get them neutered.

Regarding making them more friendly spend as much time sitting or laying in their enclosure, let them sniff you and climb on you, also hand feed them as much as possible. Eventually most bunnies will be happy for a nose rub or stroke but this could take weeks.

Also rabbits are very sensitive to our moods and will react more positively if you are happy, calm and unhurried.

Back