• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Milo? EMERGENCY VETS

Have you tried putting his cc in a little dish. When my bunny (who hates being handled) was being syringe fed I would sometimes put his cc in a small flower pot dish and he would lap it up . Sounds as though you're doing everything you can but understand how stressful it is when bunny's don't seem to be responding well.

I suppose I also have to be aware that these hours are the hours my bunnies usually rest, between 10am and 2-3pm, so just because he looks "quiet" at the minute doesn't mean he is getting worse, it could be just because it's resting hours,sometimes if you see him hopping around you would think there was nothing wrong bar not eating, it's no wonder people so often miss this in rabbits x

Have you tried putting his cc in a little dish. When my bunny (who hates being handled) was being syringe fed I would sometimes put his cc in a small flower pot dish and he would lap it up . Sounds as though you're doing everything you can but understand how stressful it is when bunny's don't seem to be responding well.

Unfortunately Milo is a massive fuss pot, he will only eat specific things, usually, his hay, excel pellet, the odd fibafirst and only parsley and basil, no other herbs are acceptable. If I put anything under his nose he simply shakes his head left and right and I'm sure he is trying to tell me he really doesn't want it x

Can't offer any more advice than what's been given, but just wanted to lend support and top up vibes for Milo, and for you of course. Hope things improve through the day, they are such a worry aren't they. I've got a bunny going for first dental on Tuesday, and I'm terrified ! I'd rather it was me ! Xxxxxx

It is hard to know, isn't it, when to ease off and when to try and do stuff like medicate/syringe feed. Personally I always leave a while between feeds and wouldn't do it as often (although this is only my opinion!) as I don't want bunny to be so full of CC that when they do feel like eating, they're too full to do so! I.e Alf had a dental a couple of weeks ago, the vet gave him a feed before I picked him up at 11pm but she also said to syringe feed him next morning. I didn't, because he had started to nibble food. Whilst it wasn't loads, I didn't want to both fill him up and stress him out so he didn't want to eat his own food! It's so hard to know what do to though. And they pick up on your stress, which only makes things worse!

Poor Milo :(

Sending vibes for poor Milo and yourself Sarah. What about picking up a small sachet of Ellas' Baby Food while the shops are open, if you're concerned you'll run out of CC before your order arrives, would he eat that? Hope he is himself again soon. x

How is Milo this afternoon, has there been any improvement?

He is still looking unwell, I am still giving him the CC but my OH brought home some forage for him and we've seen him in the last hour have a nibble on that. It's not a lot but it's better than nothing. X

He is still looking unwell, I am still giving him the CC but my OH brought home some forage for him and we've seen him in the last hour have a nibble on that. It's not a lot but it's better than nothing. X

Just a thought, but could you do the feeds/medicating whilst he (and you) remain sitting on the floor ? It's just that picking him up may make him feel dizzy and nauseous (due to the vestibular problems), thus making him more reluctant to take much CC feed. I thought about trying something like this :

Well that's good if he's had a nibble of forage, at least he's interested in it. You could try wetting the forage, to make it a bit more appealing. Bless him, I hope he picks up soon. Xx

At the moment he is very reluctant to take the Cc unless I put him on the worktop. I managed to get a good 20ml into him on there at 2pm, if I try to put my knees around him or put a towel around him it just leads to panic, whereas if I put him on the worktop he takes it no problem, I'm not sure why but I just think if he stays in his enclosure at cc time he feels he can get away easily so he's flails and kicks hard x

Thinking of you, Milo and Finn. I've a bun with stasis at the moment - we're three days in now, and it's incredibly hard, exhausting and scary. I really hope Milo feels much better soon. xox

Thinking of you, Milo and Finn. I've a bun with stasis at the moment - we're three days in now, and it's incredibly hard, exhausting and scary. I really hope Milo feels much better soon. xox

Sending vibes to your bun too and hoping he is soon better. I had a bun in stasis last weekend, but he's much better now. The key is patience, patience and more patience. I know how horribly worrying it is.

Just wondering if Milo has managed to eat a little more for himself now ?

He is having the odd nibble on some forage and hay, maybe in the last two hours he has visited the litter tray two or three times and had a nibble for maybe 5-10 minutes, so it's a good sign.

He has had his meds for tonight including his Panacur and he is due a little more CC before I go to bed. Tomorrow I am going to get up early (5:30) before work and give him enough meds to last him the day, I am going to make sure he gets a good dose of CC if he is still not eating a lot before I go and then watch him on the bunny cam whilst I am at work. I think if he is showing these small signs I need to give him some time to eat himself. Maybe whilst I am at work he will improve. I will probably see if I can leave work at 4 instead of 5 to get home as early as I can to give him his next dose of meds and some more Cc.

In all honesty this weekend can't get any worse, I am emotionally exhausted, my mum has just got off the phone with me and my 90 year old little nan has fallen really ill, she is saying some very odd things to my mum and we are all very worried, I just don't have the emotional strength to deal with this, I suffer really badly with anxiety, I've come away for a hot bath before work tomorrow to try and pull myself together and just sat in my bathroom and cried. My head is pounding.

I'm trying not to be "poor me" but finding it hard to cope today. :cry:

Edit : 8:20pm - Milo has been nibbling hay again so, keep going my boy x

Last edited:
He is having the odd nibble on some forage and hay, maybe in the last two hours he has visited the litter tray two or three times and had a nibble for maybe 5-10 minutes, so it's a good sign.

He has had his meds for tonight including his Panacur and he is due a little more CC before I go to bed. Tomorrow I am going to get up early (5:30) before work and give him enough meds to last him the day, I am going to make sure he gets a good dose of CC if he is still not eating a lot before I go and then watch him on the bunny cam whilst I am at work. I think if he is showing these small signs I need to give him some time to eat himself. Maybe whilst I am at work he will improve. I will probably see if I can leave work at 4 instead of 5 to get home as early as I can to give him his next dose of meds and some more Cc.

In all honesty this weekend can't get any worse, I am emotionally exhausted, my mum has just got off the phone with me and my 90 year old little nan has fallen really ill, she is saying some very odd things to my mum and we are all very worried, I just don't have the emotional strength to deal with this, I suffer really badly with anxiety, I've come away for a hot bath before work tomorrow to try and pull myself together and just sat in my bathroom and cried. My head is pounding.

I'm trying not to be "poor me" but finding it hard to cope today. :cry:

Having a sick Rabbit is really stressful and when there are other problems going on too it can all seem to be over-whelming. It sounds as though Milo may be feeling a tiny bit better. I do hope so.

As for your Nan, is the 'saying odd things' something new and sudden in onset ? If so she may 'just' have a wee infection. When elderly folk have a UTI they can go really ga-ga. But once the infection is treated the mental confusion/odd behaviour resolves.

I'm sending vibes get well vibes for Milo and I hope that your Nan's problems can be sorted out too XX

I agree with Jane. Elderly people can become very confused when they have a urinary infection and say very odd things and/or get stroppy. It may be worth checking this out. I'm sorry things are so hard for you. You're having a really tough time. Hopefully Milo will feel much better very soon. x

Sending you hugs and hope you get some much needed sleep. You've done well today, so try and not to get too upset. It sounds like Milo has turned a corner if he's started nibbling at hay - my boy did this first and then gradually had some pellets the next morning, although it was only a few to start with. I second the UTI in elderly folk - it can send them quite strange and they can become very confused, so maybe worth checking if this behaviuor has come on sudden. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you and that Milo is feeling much better too and your nan is ok. You take care. Xxx

Sounds like Milo is improving that's great news. Sorry to hear about your Nan, but agree it could be UTI, it does affect them like that. Really hope you get a good nights sleep and feel better tomorrow xxx

Back