• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Milo? EMERGENCY VETS

Hi all.

He is doing well thank you. He is eating his hay and pellet well now

He is obviously on the panacur for 28 days and is getting metacam for any inflammation beside that once a day. He is off his gut meds now and still eating fine.

I have bought plenty of things to keep him going, Timothy hay to mix with the usual oat and meadow to encourage him and some dandelion and plantain which are aparrenrly good for tummies, he is also getting the digestion aid hay tablets and has avipro plus in his water (I'm short on this now however, I will probably stop once I run out, it was a good boost whilst he was under stress)

Finn is surprisingly coping well too, he isn't as big a fan of being handled but is taking his panacur fairly well on an evening as well (be had to be treat too as you know)

On the whole we are doing fine, he is basically back to himself.

Now it a a case of trying to be vigilant and do my best to avoid this happening again, I'm not sure I can cope if this happened every few months =( I hate seeing him like that.

But *touch wood* he has been much better. X

Really pleased to hear that Milo is doing ok, fingers and paws crossed here that he stays well xxxxx

At the minute I am giving him a little CC every couple of hours, the vet said to give it to him about three or four times a day but I personally prefer to spread it out so that he's always getting something every couple of hours.

I really don't know what to do if he doesn't improve by this afternoon. I'm running out of critical care, more is on order but might not come until Tuesday. He is as I said refusing to cooperate with feeding CC now....plus he hasn't drank since yesterday morning.

He would probably need meds in that time I was at work, metacam is at 8am but I could give that early before I leave. But then his gut meds are due at 10, plus he wouldn't get and critical care in the time I was away. :cry: I don't really want to admit him but if he doesn't at least nibble soon I have no idea what to do...

Please ask you vet to show you how to give sub Q fluids. It is not as effective as IV fluids if the bunny is already critical. If he is dehydrated, the rabbit's system will pull fluids from the gut and that can make the gut contents harder to pass. Milo can also have problems drinking with a tilted head, so sub Q may help him to stay hydrated as he recovers.

I also agree with Jane's post that you should see if the vet can give you some abx to cover for a possible ear infection.

Hi all.

He is doing well thank you. He is eating his hay and pellet well now

He is obviously on the panacur for 28 days and is getting metacam for any inflammation beside that once a day. He is off his gut meds now and still eating fine.

I have bought plenty of things to keep him going, Timothy hay to mix with the usual oat and meadow to encourage him and some dandelion and plantain which are aparrenrly good for tummies, he is also getting the digestion aid hay tablets and has avipro plus in his water (I'm short on this now however, I will probably stop once I run out, it was a good boost whilst he was under stress)

Finn is surprisingly coping well too, he isn't as big a fan of being handled but is taking his panacur fairly well on an evening as well (be had to be treat too as you know)

On the whole we are doing fine, he is basically back to himself.

Now it a a case of trying to be vigilant and do my best to avoid this happening again, I'm not sure I can cope if this happened every few months =( I hate seeing him like that.

But *touch wood* he has been much better. X

I just read this update and am glad Milo is responding to his treatment. Sending you, Milo, and Finn more vibes and hope you can sleep well now that he is on the mend.

I would just like to ask something about this abx thing?

Milo is doing well, he is eating and drinking normally and seems pretty much back to himself, he is getting panacur and metacam once a day whilst he is on the 28 day course of panacur.

Do I still need some antibiotics for him? I don't really want to bother him with yet another vet trip with him doing so well. If he seems better on his current meds surely it is not an ear infection? Also would be have a temperature if it was an ear infection?

The emergency vet he saw looking into this ears and also took his temperature. She was convinced it was the panacur he needed?

anyone? x

I would say no he doesn't need abx if he seems to be getting better without it.

I did think so, but with how paranoid I've been over him I'm so afraid.

I kept thinking that even though he seems to be improving the metacam might be holding him off with any other illness he might have. He is only getting it once every 24 hours alongside the panacur.

I just thought surely if his head tilt seems to be disappearing and he isn't doing this ''swaying and eye rolling'' he was doing a week ago surely it wasn't an ear infection?

Since it is often difficult to determine if EC or an infection is causing the head tilt, some vets will give both the Panacur and abx. However, your Milo seems to be improving on the Panacur so I would not worry about adding abx.

Back