• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Between rabbits right now... But not for long!

Silverleaf

Alpha Buck
Hello everyone, I'm Anna, and sadly I'm without pets at the moment. We lost our old Labrador Summer at Christmas to a liver problem, and our Netherland Dwarf bunny Neo last week to stasis. Both losses were heartbreaking. :(

This has been the first time in 15 years that I haven't had at least one animal companion. I've previously lived with rabbits (a dwarf lop and another Nethy), guinea pigs, hamsters, and chinchillas as well as Neo and Summer. I really miss having animals around, so we decided we'd get two more rabbits.

So two lovely boys will be joining the "family" near the end of August. I'm building them a multi-level cage from storage cubes, and once they're litter trained they'll have lots of time to play in my living room since I'm at home all day (I don't work as I have fibromyalgia). I'm really very excited about it!

Ideas about rabbit care have certainly changed since I got my first rabbit Kenny 15 years ago! I'm ashamed to say that looking back I did so many things wrong - keeping Kenny with guinea pigs, not getting him a friend, only getting him neutered in an attempt to stop him spraying urine everywhere, keeping him in a cage that was too small (to be fair he did free-range all day and only spent nights in the cage), feeding muesli and yogurt drop treats and sugary treat sticks and not enough hay. But all the books said that was okay, and I do know a lot better now.

Hopefully I can keep learning from you guys to give my new boys the best life I can. They certainly won't be short of love!

Welcome!
Even though I owned multiple bunnies for many years, I learned a lot since I joined this forum in December.
Years ago I made many mistakes too. Sometimes I even received poor information from veterinarians who did not always specialize in rabbits. Of course, even what was once good information changes as veterinarians learn more about rabbits.
One of the most important things is to make sure you have a good veterinarian who specializes in rabbits.
I hope you have many years of enjoyment with your rabbits and look forward to reading your posts.

Hi Anna & Welcome to a very informative, thought provoking & entertaining forum.

I'm sorry you lost Summer & Neo. I had about 6 weeks without pets 8 years ago & still remember how empty the house felt - it may have been tidy but it had no soul.
So more bunnies - that's exciting.

I too made similar mistakes with my rabbits care when I started out, I imagine most people did, but as you say the information, support & knowledge wasn't available then.

Hi joey&boo and bunny momma, thank you for the welcome! I've already absorbed loads of information from here, it's really great, and I like how supportive everyone is when someone has problems. That's lovely.

I do have a good vet who did a great job with Neo's malocclusion and who is interested in exotics. Luckily it's also the closest surgery to me so that's nice and convenient. ;)

I've just re-read my original rabbit care book (published by the RSPCA, no less) and it's amazing how much bad information is in there!

We're going to meet my new boys tomorrow, which will be lovely. :) I'll be sure to take pictures and bore you all to death with them... :lol: And I'll be in cage-building mode this weekend too - I love putting together flat-packed furniture or assembling anything so I'll definitely enjoy that. Not as much as meeting bunnies, but still. ;)

I posted this pic in my thread about neutering littermates, but I'm sure no-one will complain if I put it here too. ;)

OsJ52MC7wMO1fwrimQlf9jxrg-ENhrPRNZGvyaFeC-g=s955-no

Okay, we've 95% settled on names - the lilac otter is Nemesis, and the cinnamon is Meeple. Cage is almost finished and would be completely ready now if my wrist hadn't been inexplicably painful and difficult to use the past few days.

I'm very excited for the boys coming home! Only a month to go!

Back