• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harry & Jo 16th July 2015

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Harry was taken in by ARC as part of a large Rescue from a Backyard Breeding situation that had gotten very out of control. Harry had a lot of GI tract problems which resulted in him getting into this state

ARC asked me if I could Foster Harry whilst C tried to get him well. After many weeks of treatment and numerous diagnostics Harry did finally recover and he became a very bright and bouncy young buck. He went off to another Foster home as C had asked me to care for another very sick Rabbit. Harry was neutered and all went well. But whilst in his Foster home he unfortunately had an accident and sustained a compound fracture to his left femur. C was not able to save his leg, she had to amputate it. I actually watched the surgery, it was fascinating and scary in equal measures

Harry made an incredibly rapid recovery and being a tripod Bunny never slowed him down at all

Given all Harry had been through I decided that I would adopt him myself and he lived with us for about 7 years. He was bonded to a few other Rabbits over the years. But it was meeting Jo just a few months ago that meant he met his soul mate. They formed an very strong bond in a very short space of time.

Harry developed spine and hip problems at the end of last year. Obviously with just one back leg this proved to be a challenge for him. But he was kept comfortable on medication. But eventually no medication was sufficient to control his pain and I had to let him go.

I first saw Jo when she was about 3 weeks old. She was with her 4 siblings in a perspex 'cage' in P@H.

Their mother was a P@H Rabbit who gave birth in the store. Tragically she died when her kits were about 3 weeks old. I was horrified to see such tiny babies being kept on display in the middle of a busy Pet Shop. After much 'negotiation' with the Store Manager it was finally agreed that I could take all of the Kits as it was obvious that one was already very poorly with diarrhoea. That was Jo. I took her straight over to C and for several days we fought to save Jo's life. Many times we thought we would lose her

I did separate her from her litter mates and by some miracle none of them contracted enteritis. Gradually Jo gained strength and started to recover

Eventually I was able to re-introduce her to her siblings

The next two photos taken whilst/after they had all had their bowl of Goats Milk which they tended to nose dive into, hence the state of them

Two of Jo's siblings, Liam and Niamh, went to live with a person who used to post on RU.I kept the other three, Enya, Patrick and Jo. Enya was (and still is) a bit of a bully and she started to pick on Jo. So I had to separate Jo from Enya and Patrick and I bonded her with a Rex called Hal. When we lost Hal Jo went on to bond with Rodney. Sadly Rodney passed away a few months ago. By this stage Jo had developed severe arthritis in her hips and spine and she also developed otitis. As Harry was not bonded at this stage and they both had mobility issues I decided to slowly introduce them over several weeks. This worked very well and they became a devoted couple, never far from each others side

Over the last week Harry deteriorated rapidly and Jo began to go off her hind legs. She also had another ear infection. Me and C talked at length about what would be the kindest thing to do for them and we both agreed that PTS was the only humane option. Harry and Jo passed away side by side at 1120hrs this morning. They both passed peacefully, C made sure of that

Farewell for now Harry and Jo, thank you for sharing your lives with me. I will never forget you and I will always love you xx

It's heart warming to see rabbits being cared for and flourishing in the way Harry and Jo have. I'm sorry that it was time for them to leave Jane, but they'll always be with you - had could they not be after the love you have given them? x

:cry:... I'm sorry you have lost them but their story is so heartwarming and the life you gave them was wonderful...binky free..... Xxxxxxxxx

So many losses Jane, I can't imagine how you must be feeling
Love any virtual hugs,
Fee x

I truly am sorry Jane :cry:

I do hope you can take some comfort from the fact that no-one could or would have given them such wonderful lives and let them pass together, however difficult that must have been for you. I am so happy that they were able spend their last months together.

Thinking of you at this awful time and sending love and comforting (((((hugs))))).

RIP gorgeous Harry and lovely Jo xxx

A lovely picture story of two beautiful bunnies, they were so lucky to have you, and then each other. What better way for them to go, side by side, together for ever. Binky free Harry and Jo xxxxxxx

Beautiful photos :love: What a pair of super buns. I'm sure they only survived their awful starts in life thanks to your care. Utterly heartbreaking to have to say goodbye to both of them, but the kindest thing for them. I'm so sorry :cry: Binky free Harry and Jo xx

So touching but also so sad Harry and Jo are no longer with you.:cry: I remember her siblings and former partners, it has been several years of extreme heartache for you Jane. I know they were all loved and cared for in your hands and now sad they have all gone.

2 lovely stories - you had the joy of watching them grow and thrive but now the pain. Binky free Harry and Jo xxx

I am so sorry Jane. Harry and Jo were truly blessed to have shared their lives with you.

Sleep tight precious Harry and Jo xx

I am so sorry you've had another goodbye Jane, but what lucky rabbits they were to be given the chance of a life. I'm sure they would have thanked you if they could and would ask you not to be sad for too long but to make the most of your life too.
Thinking of you on this sad day xx

I'm so very sorry Jane, it was absolutely the right decision but gosh, what a hard one. I have no doubt that these bunnies had the most wonderful life with you. Biggest of hugs xx

Back