• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bond without spaying...?

berni

New Kit
I got a little boy 2 weeks ago and he is now 3 months, which means he will be coming up for neutering any time soon and most probably in a month or so. I will get him neutered as soon as possible. In just over two weeks I will be getting a younger girl, 8 weeks old. I intend for them to be bonded but I want to ask whether I can begin bonding them about 4 weeks after my boy is neutered (long enough to let his hormones calm down and to let her get used to her new home and to me) or whether I will need to wait for a further 3 months of separate living areas and separate free-run time to then get her spayed and then wait another month to introduce them and begin the bonding process (to let her hormones settle down). Any advice would be greatly appreciated and stories of similar experiences very welcome.

Many thanks in advance,
Berni

I would say wait until both rabbits are neutered and their hormones have settled.

Female hormomes can come in quite strongly so it would be a shame to bond them and then to seperate them again if she comes very domineering.

I have 2 does (sisters) who had to be seperated before they were spayed and hormones/timing meant it was about 12 weeks post spay before they were succsesfully rebonded.

It depends on the personality of the female. If she is of a sweet disposition then I would bond early rather than wait for months, which could work against any successful bonding. Then you can have her spayed when she is old enough and put back in with him as having company helps with recovery. Hopefully in a few months time you will have 2 happily bonded bunnies :thumb:

Both rabbits MUST be neutered in a bond. The female will get agitated by her hormones and might get frustrated with her mate. Its always best to take hormones out of the running! x

Many thanks for the super quick responses, you've all be very helpful. I will go with my original instincts and wait until she has been spayed to begin introducing them properly. Can I still house them side by side in separate 'cages' until I introduce to one another physically or should they be completely separated - different rooms of the house etc?

Thanks again!

Hi, thank you for your response! I will wait until they are both hormone free. Can I house them next to each other in separate 'accommodation' whilst I am waiting to get her spayed (for 3 or 4 months) or is it better to have them in separate rooms altogether?

Many thanks!

I have had and still have many happily bonded rabbits where the female has not been spayed. :)

I still don't think it should be encouraged to have unspayed females, especially with the risk of cancer later in life being rather high. x

Why don't you instead consider adopting a already spayed/vaccinated rescue girlie? :) most good rescues will do the bonding for you too so much less stress and no seperate living etc!

Back