• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People aggressive rabbit bonding with another rabbit

RaeMillsy

New Kit
Hello

I work for a rabbit rescue and I have bonded a few rabbits together and noticed that it can change a rabbits behaviour towards humans.

I have two bunnies, a neutered female and a neutered male. They live next door to each other and have shown they quite like each other. I am thinking of putting them together. However, both are quite difficult bunnies. Alice was handled quite roughly so now she gets quite grumpy and charges, boxes or sometimes bites when somebody goes to pick her up or generally make a fuss of her. I have built up her trust and have been doing some work with her so I am now able to stroke her, but she still grunts and sometimes hits me with her front paws. She also charges at anything that moves and dives on it, this behaviour is slowly improving. Snowflake can also show signs of aggression to people, however I am able to stroke him all over and he has stopped charging at me now, he just gets a little frustrated when you feed him and decides to attack the food pot.

Now normally I would not put two people aggressive rabbits together, but before I definitely say no, I would like to get some opinions. If I put them together do you think they will just team up and attack people or do you think there is a chance they may relax? They do seem to like each other, but I have to look at it from a re-homing perspective as well.

Thank You :)

I think it's a great idea to attempt to bond them!

Alice sounds exactly like how my bun Chloe used to behave! Two things helped, firstly bonding her with Barney. Secondly, I used to volunteer at a rabbit rescue on a Tuesday and I noticed she would get wound up by the smell of other bunnies on my body and clothes. I decided to shower and change my outfit as soon as I returned home before having any contact with her which helped a great deal! She still grunts from time to time, nips and boxes her litter tray when I pick it up to refresh bedding but in a way I like that. The lunging and biting with her ears flat to her back has stopped thank goodness, she's now just cheeky rather than nasty. :love:

I think it should help Alice immensely when she is bonded with another rabbit. Having a friend should make her a happier bunny which will influence her behaviour with humans. Good luck and hope it works out well for Alice and her friend.

Back