• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit has something white moving around on her eye!!!! What is it!! Help??

Bassdoodle

Young Bun
I noticed it yesterday morning
it is white when she blinks it moves, it looks kind of slimy and was pretty big but didn't cover her whole eye
Then today it is a bit bigger

She has been acting the same and eating drinking fine and going to the bathroom I have brought her and my other rabbit inside yesterday so I can keep a close eye on them my other rabbit is fine how ever

Could it be contagious???

She's not an old rabbit either and is just over a year old
she's a mini rex mix I think I cant be too sure as I got her from the adoption centre at pets at home they told me she was an English when she isn't

Please help!!
If it hasn't improved by tomorrow evening she will be unfortunately having a trip to the vets!

Sorry to hear about your bunny, hope others can help.. But it may possibly be an eye ulcer.

One of my bunnies is currently suffering with one, and if it is you will need to get some anti-biotic eye drops, hope someone can help & sending lots of vibes to her xx

It could be from a snotty nose. The tear ducts drain from the eye into the nose and if bunny is a bit snotty sometimes it lies on the eye. Or it could be the start of conjuctivitis.

Do ulcers move when they blink?? Sometimes it even disappears to the back of her eye
Thanks and hope yours gets better too!

Do you think my other rabbit is at any risk of getting it?
Maybe I should quarantine her until I know exactly what it is

Im sorry I cant she wont sit still and sleeps with her eye facing the wall I am also unable to upload it on here
its a white shaped thing and its on her eye it looks kind of gooey and slimy and moves around when she blinks sometimes even to the back of her eye
its not cloudy and isn't her actual eye its something that is on her eye, nothing seems to be coming out her eye either although it was a tiny bit watery but not very
it kind of looks like underneath a slug
You can see its on her eye as when you look at it from the side it sticks out a tiny bit

She has also started to close that eye now while her other eye is wide open suggesting maybe its starting to hurt her

Im sorry I cant she wont sit still and sleeps with her eye facing the wall I am also unable to upload it on here
its a white shaped thing and its on her eye it looks kind of gooey and slimy and moves around when she blinks sometimes even to the back of her eye
its not cloudy and isn't her actual eye its something that is on her eye, nothing seems to be coming out her eye either although it was a tiny bit watery but not very
You can see its on her eye as when you look at it from the side it sticks out a tiny bit

She has also started to close that eye now while her other eye is wide open suggesting maybe its starting to hurt her

It could be discharge from a tear duct? When a bunny's tear duct becomes blocked, it sometimes gets a bit of infection and it comes back up the duct and into the eye. Is the eye red and sore, or is she just closing it? Have you tried very carefully cleaning it off with a cotton wool bud?

It could be the nictitating membrane (third eyelid)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Nictitating.htm

If you think your Rabbit is in discomfort and/or the problem is new and continuous then it is necessary to seek Veterinary attention to establish what is going on and if any treatment is necessary.

No it isn't red and doesn't look sore but I think it might be irritating her
She is quite nervous rabbit and doesn't like to be picked up held unless she comes to you so it would be difficult to try clean it but I might try it I just don't want to cause her too much stress.

I don't think its that either :(
and yes if there are no signs of improvement by tomorrow tea time when my dad gets home from work we shall be booking her in at the vets
Although it doesn't seem to be getting worse and it doesn't seem to be affecting her too much if I thought she was in a lot of pain and it was effecting her a lot I would take her to the vets right away

I don't think its that either :(
and yes if there are no signs of improvement by tomorrow tea time when my dad gets home from work we shall be booking her in at the vets
Although it doesn't seem to be getting worse and it doesn't seem to be affecting her too much if I thought she was in a lot of pain and it was effecting her a lot I would take her to the vets right away

I hope you get on OK at the vets. I thought about the 'third eyelid' but dismissed it when you said that it was basically 'floating' on the surface of the eye.

Good luck tomorrow if you need to go :thumb:

Does your rabbit happen to have white or light colored fur? I ask because my white rabbits will sometimes get a little gooey wad of fur in their eyes, that just floats on the eye until it is rubbed out by them when it gets to the edge of the eyelid, or until I flush it out with sterile saline eye drops.

Yes well it seems to have got a lot smaller today and she is opening her eye now too so what ever it is I think she has managed to get rid of it by herself, will be keeping a close eye on her though until its completely gone.

Does your rabbit happen to have white or light colored fur? I ask because my white rabbits will sometimes get a little gooey wad of fur in their eyes, that just floats on the eye until it is rubbed out by them when it gets to the edge of the eyelid, or until I flush it out with sterile saline eye drops.

She does actually shes white with black spots bit like an English. It could have been that then as it seems to have gotten smaller!

Just want to thank everyone for their input but the mysterious floating white thing seems to have gone!
Depending on the weather tomorrow she will be back outside happily in her hutch, sure she will be happy about that, much more room and less noise :p

Just want to thank everyone for their input but the mysterious floating white thing seems to have gone!
Depending on the weather tomorrow she will be back outside happily in her hutch, sure she will be happy about that, much more room and less noise :p

:thumb: So glad it's sorted itself out!

Back