• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neuter booked but moulting - advice please

Nymphadora

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

Dora has just turned 6 months old and is booked in to be neutered next Wednesday, yesterday she started to moult and today she has a proper tide line that's made it's way about a third of the way down her back. She's a brilliant hay eater, and she's being as feisty and naughty (but totally cute) as ever so I'm not worried about her coping with the moult, but I wasn't too sure if this would make recovery for the surgery more difficult, any thoughts or recommendations would be gratefully received!

Also any words of wisdom about the neuter generally would be reassuring, my old girl wasn't spayed because unfortunately I didn't know the importance, and didn't find out until was too old to have it done (thankfully she lived a healthy and happy 9 years) so it'll be the first time that I've looked after a bun post-surgery!

Thanks in advance!

It shouldn't have an adverse effect on Dora, her moulting on top of being spayed. Moulting is a stress to a bunny and if you have any doubts I would ask your Vet but I am pretty sure they would say to go ahead.

Post spay advice, have everything very clean with a few bits of her favourite food to tempt her to eat. She needs to be kept quiet for a few days or a week with no jumping onto anything. Ask your Vet if you can take some Metacam home with you, she will be covered for 24 hrs for pain and she may not want to start eating for a day and a half after the operation. Some does eat straight away, some don't.

Some of the rabbits are having quite heavy moults at the moment so ingesting large amounts of fur won't be good on top of her gut slowdown due to having an operation, but the Vets will give her a gut stimulant before she comes home so it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope everything goes well for Dora's spay.

It shouldn't have an adverse effect on Dora, her moulting on top of being spayed. Moulting is a stress to a bunny and if you have any doubts I would ask your Vet but I am pretty sure they would say to go ahead.

Post spay advice, have everything very clean with a few bits of her favourite food to tempt her to eat. She needs to be kept quiet for a few days or a week with no jumping onto anything. Ask your Vet if you can take some Metacam home with you, she will be covered for 24 hrs for pain and she may not want to start eating for a day and a half after the operation. Some does eat straight away, some don't.

Some of the rabbits are having quite heavy moults at the moment so ingesting large amounts of fur won't be good on top of her gut slowdown due to having an operation, but the Vets will give her a gut stimulant before she comes home so it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope everything goes well for Dora's spay.

Thank you! She's coping really well with the moult, so I think that she'll probably be ok to go ahead with the neuter next week! Will probably have a chat with the vet at the start of the week to be sure! :)

Thank you! She's coping really well with the moult, so I think that she'll probably be ok to go ahead with the neuter next week! Will probably have a chat with the vet at the start of the week to be sure! :)

Yes, make sure her eating, drinking and pooping is all as normal. Sometimes a heavy moult can put them off their food. So long as your vet is happy to go ahead, has done lots of spays before, and is very confident, then she should be absolutely fine!

Keep a close eye post spay, and make sure you have pain relief. Ask the vet what type of stitches he's going to use (internal/glue/dissolving ...) and keep her warm and on something soft to ensure she's comfortable.

Good luck xx

Back