• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problem with my new bunny. -- Poo and Wee update

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,

Well Alana was bonded with Poppy on Sunday. In fact after two hours I let them out of the pen as they were completely fine. All going well and they get on great, which is awesome!

My problem is Alana appears not to understand house bunny etiquette. She's pooing everywhere (not scattering,, I mean actually piles of poos) and also been using Poppys comfy bed as a litter tray (every wee she has had she's had it on there). I've just chucked the bed in the wash and given where they're hanging out a good vacuum. I've put in another litter tray, yesterday i kept sweeping up the poos and popping them in the litter tray hoping she would get the message. Neither Sparkle or Poppy go to the loo anywhere they shouldn't so a bit confused by this.

The best of it is they have (not me ) decided they live in Emilys room, I might have to pull the carpet and get some laminate down.

Bloody bunnies :lol:

Any tips?

Last edited:
You've done the right thing by putting the poos in the tray. Try moving the tray to where they are peeing, they tend to choose 'Their' area.
How old are they, are they spayed? That can help.

I can't move the tray as Poppy uses it, that would confuse her then but i have added another tray so hopefully Alana will adopt it as her tray. Poppy isn't the problem she's a good girl :lol: it's Alana but I think this might be her first experience as a house bunny so I'm not sure she knows what to do. Thanks for the reply rachylou xxxx

When I had house bunnies, I was never able to use comfy beds, as they confused it with the litter tray, for some reason! They were good about using the litter tray, but always wanted to wee on the comfy bed. I was able to use mats, but nothing spongy.

When I had house bunnies, I was never able to use comfy beds, as they confused it with the litter tray, for some reason! They were good about using the litter tray, but always wanted to wee on the comfy bed. I was able to use mats, but nothing spongy.

I have this too. Any kind of cushion and they want to soak it through.

It could be down to finding her way around and territorial pooping. Boots pooed all over the living room, and I mean all over, piles and scattered everywhere :shock::lol: when he was first in there, but I just kept sweeping it up and putting it into the litter tray, and gradually the poo tide line receded towards the tray, and now he never poos on the floor in there :thumb:

When I moved Lopsy and Aboleth into the wendy house I just put a litter tray with paper-pellets in the corner and they used it straightaway: I have been very very lucky! Aboleth does poo-spread on the grass though, whereas Lopsy leaves neat piles. Neither seem to wee on the grass (and it's a long way back in now!) but Lopsy will go on the paving if the concrete paving is exposed around the pen.

You could try inching Poppy's tray over the where Alana is going? Though I imagine Poppy might move it back!

Thanks guys for the replies. You see I never had this problem with Poppy over the last three years she doesn’t wee anywhere and uses her comfy bed as a comfy bed. Poor girl, I bet she is feeling shattered not having a nice place to lie down as it’s covered in wee :lol: . If this is going to be a problem I may have to get a couple more beds and at least they can just have a fresh one every day and wash the others, bit of a bloomin pain though. I honestly didn’t get the impression it was territorial scattering, but maybe it is. I just thought Alana didn’t know what was expected of her, I am hoping the second litter tray will help her learn that litter trays are for poo’s and wee’s carpets and comfy bed are for walking and sleeping on :lol:

Here’s Poppy (pre-Alana) on her comfy bed she always slept on it, Poor Poppy she is such a good bunny.

bun3.jpg

Here’s Alana and Poppy together, they didn’t even need bonding they got on straight away. Considering they met for the first time Sunday afternoon it’s like they’ve always been together, which is brilliant. Having breakfast and playing in their castle :love: . We just need to sort out the poo problem :lol:. I will keep you posted. Thank you :love:

bun2.jpg

bun1.jpg

***updated***

I just bought another comfy bed (just one whern I saw the price :lol:) so I have one for wash and one for sleeping on and a load of puppy training pads that turn colour when wee'd on. Hopefully we can sort out this problem :thumb:

It's difficult isn't it? Once they get it into their heads that a comfy bed is to wee on, it's hard to turn back the clock.

My upstairs bunny has comfy beds and he sleeps on them. My downstairs oldies wee on their comfies and I have to top them with vet bed so they don't lie in wee :shock:

When you find out the solution - please spread it around :lol:

It's difficult isn't it? Once they get it into their heads that a comfy bed is to wee on, it's hard to turn back the clock.

My upstairs bunny has comfy beds and he sleeps on them. My downstairs oldies wee on their comfies and I have to top them with vet bed so they don't lie in wee :shock:

When you find out the solution - please spread it around :lol:

:shock: I thought that was the problem. Sorry - will get back to my furniture restoration.

I'm another one who's rabbits have never used comfy beds for anything other than a toilet. Maybe it is little Poppy who is the smart/rare one. :thumb::lol:

Oh maybe it's a thing then, poor Poppy with her peey bed :lol:. Well I have a new bed but she hasn't a bed whilst I'm at work today as it was in the dryer when I left for work. I have a nice new one and pads so hopefully she will get some dry time to have a lie down :shock:.

Haha Yes I am trying not to spread it around :lol:

They're lovely together :) So glad they were instant friends! Is it karma that you have different problems, do you think? :lol:

They look lovely together:love:

My Willow always loved her comfy fleece and beds, when the boys came.. aaaaargghhhhh, it was pee here, pee there, pee anywhere that was comfy...

It was a headache.... We had to resort to removing it all...... I also washed the bedding in white vinegar, I expect you've done that too,,,.?

Good luck...

Fee x

:lol: yeah for all the trouble I saved on bonding Alana is making up for it with poo and wee :lol:

I have had some bad news today about one of my rescues, but I am going to try and be positive and think about Alana and Poppy.

Well I popped down the new bed with a towel and puppy pad on (which made Poppy happy :lol: ) and then spend most of the evening going in picking up poo and popping it in the extra tray I had added. I got up about 5.30 for a wee and stuck my head in and they were okay, no wee on bed other than a very slight bit on the very edge (looked more like an unaimed wee from somewhere else) and not a lot of poo about. Although at 7.30 there seem to be a lot more poo about which I placed in the other litter tray and a couple of spots of wee on the carpet which I got up with a bit of white vinegar. Poppy seemed to like the new bed too, a couple of pics from when I was peeping. :love:

IMG-20150708-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20150708-WA0000.jpg

Oh love her :love:

So sorry to hear about one of your other Rescues xx

Back to topic - bonding can be poo city, can't it :shock:

Thank you, she is so cute and just such a gentle rabbit :love:

I know, I am shocked at how much poo is about, I am hoping it will stop soon :lol:

Naughty bunnies! If you can find out how to do it please let me know. Len and Piglet were quite well litter trained until they went outside and then Len got poorly so we had to bring them back indoors. Now they seem to have reverted and sleep in their litter tray and pee and poo all over the floor of their cage. Thankfully we rarely have any deposits when they are free to roam! [emoji1]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Back