Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with my new bunny. -- Poo and Wee update

Default Problem with my new bunny. -- Poo and Wee update

Hi,

Well Alana was bonded with Poppy on Sunday. In fact after two hours I let them out of the pen as they were completely fine. All going well and they get on great, which is awesome!

My problem is Alana appears not to understand house bunny etiquette. She's pooing everywhere (not scattering,, I mean actually piles of poos) and also been using Poppys comfy bed as a litter tray (every wee she has had she's had it on there). I've just chucked the bed in the wash and given where they're hanging out a good vacuum. I've put in another litter tray, yesterday i kept sweeping up the poos and popping them in the litter tray hoping she would get the message. Neither Sparkle or Poppy go to the loo anywhere they shouldn't so a bit confused by this.

The best of it is they have (not me ) decided they live in Emilys room, I might have to pull the carpet and get some laminate down.

Bloody bunnies

Any tips?
    Last edited by SOAD; 08-07-2015 at 04:15 PM.
    Click here to see the bunnies available for homes at Underhill Rabbit Rescue

REW bunnies are home and they're all gorgeous

Poppy, Sparkle, Alana
    Please sponsor my Everest trip for Underhill Rabbit Rescue which will be done in April 2014
    Underhill Rabbit Rescue fundraising for Everest page (click here)

You've done the right thing by putting the poos in the tray. Try moving the tray to where they are peeing, they tend to choose 'Their' area.
    How old are they, are they spayed? That can help.

I can't move the tray as Poppy uses it, that would confuse her then but i have added another tray so hopefully Alana will adopt it as her tray. Poppy isn't the problem she's a good girl it's Alana but I think this might be her first experience as a house bunny so I'm not sure she knows what to do. Thanks for the reply rachylou xxxx

When I had house bunnies, I was never able to use comfy beds, as they confused it with the litter tray, for some reason! They were good about using the litter tray, but always wanted to wee on the comfy bed. I was able to use mats, but nothing spongy.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Bruno hamster

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    When I had house bunnies, I was never able to use comfy beds, as they confused it with the litter tray, for some reason! They were good about using the litter tray, but always wanted to wee on the comfy bed. I was able to use mats, but nothing spongy.
    I have this too. Any kind of cushion and they want to soak it through.

It could be down to finding her way around and territorial pooping. Boots pooed all over the living room, and I mean all over, piles and scattered everywhere when he was first in there, but I just kept sweeping it up and putting it into the litter tray, and gradually the poo tide line receded towards the tray, and now he never poos on the floor in there

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

When I moved Lopsy and Aboleth into the wendy house I just put a litter tray with paper-pellets in the corner and they used it straightaway: I have been very very lucky! Aboleth does poo-spread on the grass though, whereas Lopsy leaves neat piles. Neither seem to wee on the grass (and it's a long way back in now!) but Lopsy will go on the paving if the concrete paving is exposed around the pen.

You could try inching Poppy's tray over the where Alana is going? Though I imagine Poppy might move it back!
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Thanks guys for the replies. You see I never had this problem with Poppy over the last three years she doesnít wee anywhere and uses her comfy bed as a comfy bed. Poor girl, I bet she is feeling shattered not having a nice place to lie down as itís covered in wee . If this is going to be a problem I may have to get a couple more beds and at least they can just have a fresh one every day and wash the others, bit of a bloomin pain though. I honestly didnít get the impression it was territorial scattering, but maybe it is. I just thought Alana didnít know what was expected of her, I am hoping the second litter tray will help her learn that litter trays are for pooís and weeís carpets and comfy bed are for walking and sleeping on

Hereís Poppy (pre-Alana) on her comfy bed she always slept on it, Poor Poppy she is such a good bunny.

Hereís Alana and Poppy together, they didnít even need bonding they got on straight away. Considering they met for the first time Sunday afternoon itís like theyíve always been together, which is brilliant. Having breakfast and playing in their castle . We just need to sort out the poo problem . I will keep you posted. Thank you

Poppy, Sparkle, Alana
    Please sponsor my Everest trip for Underhill Rabbit Rescue which will be done in April 2014

***updated***

I just bought another comfy bed (just one whern I saw the price ) so I have one for wash and one for sleeping on and a load of puppy training pads that turn colour when wee'd on. Hopefully we can sort out this problem

Poppy, Sparkle, Alana

Banned

It's difficult isn't it? Once they get it into their heads that a comfy bed is to wee on, it's hard to turn back the clock.

My upstairs bunny has comfy beds and he sleeps on them. My downstairs oldies wee on their comfies and I have to top them with vet bed so they don't lie in wee

When you find out the solution - please spread it around