• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Un-neatured male has bloody urine and eggs in his fur

I just checked back and his rump and I didn't see anything (for some reason, there are no eggs or anything). The weather has cooled down and he's eating some veg now. I'll check in the morning again. I hope I'm not risking too much leaving him overnight
Also, I think the reason why the lines haven't got through is because my phone hasn't been working lately but I will ring the vets in the morning for advise and tell the situation just to be safe

Thank you so much for the help :)

if i'm honest, i do think it's too big a risk to leave him until tomorrow. even if he doesn't have eggs as first thought, he still sounds poorly and could have been on the verge of heatstroke going by the symptoms. it would be safer to have him checked over.

without scaring you, *if* he does have eggs there that you cannot see, then tomorrow will be too late. i'm sorry to say that but that is a fact with flystrike :(

it is good that he is eating for himself but i would still get him checked over for peace of mind. at least try to get through to the vets for some advice before deciding.

I just rang the vet now and told her that there are no signs of eggs or maggots now but I did see some yellowish eggs earlier on and I explained about the urine. She told me to keep and eye out for him and bring him in if I notice any signs of eggs again. I'll double check him and check him in the morning also
He seems to be happy now but I will definitely keep a close eye out
also I understand that you're worried too. I was confused that there wasn't anything in his fur again but I honestly didn't see anything, but like I said, I will double check him
Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
I just rang the vet now and told her that there are no signs of eggs or maggots now but I did see some yellowish eggs earlier on and I explained about the urine. She told me to keep and eye out for him and bring him in if I notice any signs of eggs again. I'll double check him and check him in the morning also
He seems to be happy now but I will definitely keep a close eye out
also I understand that you're worried too. I was confused that there wasn't anything in his fur again but I honestly didn't see anything, but like I said, I will double check him
Thanks everyone :)

he could have been struggling with the heat today. it has been very humid again. if he's outside in a hutch then the temperatures can go higher than you expect.

i'm glad you will be keeping a very close eye on him. perhaps check him frequently from now until the morning just to be extra safe and get him to the vet first thing if he still doesn't seem himself. and i really hope he will be ok. x

Please take him to the vet tonight - he needs to be clipped and shaved. If even just one maggot is allowed to hatch it is almost always fatal :( The maggots eat their way into the rabbit and then proceed to eat them from the inside out - once they're properly inside (only takes a few hours) there is nothing you can do - it's a long and excruciating death.

He needs to be checked for entry holes and his whole fur needs going through to remove any remaining eggs and then covered in Rearguard (medicine that stops the eggs from hatching). Do you know anyone that has rabbits that has some Rearguard? Many people use it as a preventative to flystrike.

I find the blood in his urine concerning and the change in his behaviour - both indicate could be symptoms of flystrike. He really does need checking and treating tonight, because if he does have flystrike by the morning it will be too late.

Here's a leaflet on flystrike published by the Rabbit Welfare Association - the leading authority on rabbit care: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

Please note the following paragraphs in particular:
THE WARNING SIGNS
High-risk rabbits should have their bottoms checked twice daily,
especially in summer. However, if any bunny is quiet and listless;
or appears restless and shows signs of discomfort, pick them up
immediately and check for eggs or maggots.
What do you do if you find your rabbit has maggots

Firstly, keep calm, but telephone your veterinary practice
immediately. Flystrike is a true emergency - day or night - and
treatment cannot wait.

So long as it does not delay your trip to the vet, pick off any
visible maggots with tweezers. Do not dunk the rabbit in water:
fur in the affected area may need to be shaved and wet fur
clogs the clippers.
HOW IS FLYSTRIKE TREATED?
Flystrike is a very serious condition and is, sadly, often fatal.
However, rabbits can make a full recovery if the condition is found
and treated quickly. Flyblown rabbits are usually in pain and
severe shock, and need skilled veterinary and nursing care.

Last edited:
But if you saw eggs earlier surely they must still be there. If it were me I would still go to the emergency vet as you really can't be too careful.

I'm assuming that your rabbit is in a hutch with a permanently attached run so there is lots of space for exercise but also somewhere cool to retreat to when it is hot.

But if you saw eggs earlier surely they must still be there. If it were me I would still go to the emergency vet as you really can't be too careful.

I'm assuming that your rabbit is in a hutch with a permanently attached run so there is lots of space for exercise but also somewhere cool to retreat to when it is hot.

ETA. This has crossed with Nessar's post. In my opinion she is absolutely correct in what she said.

Agree with Nessar. If you saw eggs before, it may be they have hatched out and have now buried into the rabbit.

Is his fur white? It's so much harder to see if so ...

Hi everyone, I checked up on him again and I checked his fur a lot when he was still. After more inspection, there are still small oval shaped things still in his fur :( I'm guessing eggs. There are about the same amount as earlier on. I checked his rump and there isn't anything that stands out to me, just the egg things dotted in his fur.
Also, I know this might be random but he itched the same ear again like it's irritated. If there is something in there, I honestly don't know what I can do. I know there isn't anything around his anus though so that's good.
And I'm not sure but either he's telling me he's ill or he's being hormonal because he tried humping me but when he did he bit my hand :( I forgive him though

Either way, I told my parents about this and they got angry at me..they aren't listening to me about it at all. I'll probably have to beg my dad to bring him to the vets before he goes to work tomorrow morning at about 7am...I don't know what else I can do now...

Hi there. Unfortunatly your parents are breaking the law refusing to take a what could be high risk rabbit to the vets....i really feel for you, you obviously love your bunny and know hes in grave danger. Is there anyway you could get an image of the eggs and show us please xx

I decided I'm going to wake up early and just walk to the vets. I can't risk it. I'll pay for the check-up and if there is something wrong, contact my dad at the vets. I'll try my best not to stress him when transporting him there. Any more advise would help but thanks everyone :)

@pablo2013 I'll take a picture now so I'll be about 30 mins depending how long the pic takes to upload and thanks for your concern xx

I decided I'm going to wake up early and just walk to the vets. I can't risk it. I'll pay for the check-up and if there is something wrong, contact my dad at the vets. I'll try my best not to stress him when transporting him there. Any more advise would help but thanks everyone :)

I think that this is what you need to do.
Hope that bun is ok, please let us all know.

A pic would be great.... Are you sure theyre not fur mites your seeing? with the itching youre describing it could be a possibility
As for the red urine, have you given your bunny carrot or anything? this can cause red urine and its not blood
Hope your bunny is ok and as others have said... vets is the best way to go if youre unsure, hope you can convince your parents x

Back