• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Un-neatured male has bloody urine and eggs in his fur

guest12345

Young Bun
So I made an account just for this. Basically my rabbit had some bloody urine and once he was really tired, I stroked him and noticed he had eggs of some sort in his fur.
He hasn't been acting like his usual self and laid down flat in his hutch, breathing really fast, allowing me to stroke him (he's usually more energetic and not into that) and he started closing his eyes.
I know the answer is to take him to the vets but when I bring it up to my parents they got mad at me and say as long as I feed, water, let him out etc. he is okay. I really want to take him to the vets but since they think he's ok what do you advise me to do for now..? I feel really sad about this

I posted this on another website - https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150705094914AAEMzcS you could read that for more info. Thank you.

It sounds like he needs to see a vet asap, please ask your parents to take him. It sounds like fly strike, are the eggs around his bottom?

You are right he needs a vet ASAP.

So I made an account just for this. Basically my rabbit had some bloody urine and once he was really tired, I stroked him and noticed he had eggs of some sort in his fur.
He hasn't been acting like his usual self and laid down flat in his hutch, breathing really fast, allowing me to stroke him (he's usually more energetic and not into that) and he started closing his eyes.
I know the answer is to take him to the vets but when I bring it up to my parents they got mad at me and say as long as I feed, water, let him out etc. he is okay. I really want to take him to the vets but since they think he's ok what do you advise me to do for now..? I feel really sad about this

I posted this on another website - https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150705094914AAEMzcS you could read that for more info. Thank you.

Could it be flystrike? You mention eggs - could they be fly eggs hatching out to maggots? If so, this is a medical emergency and you risk losing your rabbit.

It may not be this, but I didn't want to waste time if it was and your rabbit needed urgent attention.

(Just cross posted with above)

You need a vet, if it is flystrike then that can kill in hours.

Does he still have access to hay? (You said you took the food away) it is very important that buns always have access to hay to eat.

Are you sure it was blood? Some foods such as carrot and dandelion can cause worryingly red urine!!! But he still needs a vet for his other symptoms.

If you own a pet it is a legal (and moral) responsibility to take them to the vet if they are ill. Do your parents know this?

you're right, he needs a vet urgently :( perhaps show your parents this and find some links to show them about fly strike and blood in urine to show them how serious this is.

if money could be the issue for them, then most vets will allow a payment plan to spread the cost.

he really cannot be left like this though. he sounds very poorly and it is cruel to leave an animal in pain :(

I had a look below his stomach and but I think it's similar to on his back also (just eggs) although I couldn't get a good enough look. But his anus, I'm not sure because I couldn't turn him onto his back. I had a look through his fur and I can just see eggs, nothing maggot-like or moving. If it helps, I notice him shaking his head a little but it could just be him interacting. He itched his ear but I've only see him do that once (if that helps)
I'm not really sure, which is why I want to take him to the vets but my parents think I'm overreacting.

I don't know if you received a notification about this (I hope you both did). I'm not sure how to reply on this website, sorry

I had a look below his stomach and but I think it's similar to on his back also (just eggs) although I couldn't get a good enough look. But his anus, I'm not sure because I couldn't turn him onto his back. I had a look through his fur and I can just see eggs, nothing maggot-like or moving. If it helps, I notice him shaking his head a little but it could just be him interacting. He itched his ear but I've only see him do that once. I'm not really sure which is why I want to take him to the vets but my parents think I'm overreacting.

you're not at all. is there anyone else who could take you to the vets? whereabouts are you?

Only my parents from the car, other family live far away. And I live up north in england
The vets are about 10 minute drive but way too long to walk by myself (plus I would have to withdraw money out of the bank)

Yeah, I'm really worried about him because he never acts that calm and loses his appetite. I showed my dad about the urine and he said he is peeing enough so he's fine and about fly strike and he said to find a comb to comb the eggs out. I couldn't and then he got angry at me :/

Your parents are required BY LAW to provide necessary veterinary treatment for pets so feeding, watering and letting him out is not enough and you need to keep pestering them to let you take him. Letting him suffer unnecessarily is cruel

I agree. I really think what's happened is unusual with the urine as he's un-neutered and the eggs just aren't a good sign.
I'm trying to call the vets now and I'll tell him what they say (although they close in 1 hour :()
edit: just realised, they're closed on sundays at 6pm...

don't worry, there are emergency vets open all the time aswell. i hope they can persuade your parents that this is serious and he should be seen asap.

I've called the calder vets around me and the emergency line but it's not answering
I live in Dewsbury if that helps

http://caldervets.co.uk/branches/dewsbury/

edit: if they convinced my dad, I think he would only travel to a vet close by by the way

i've had a quick search and it seems the best one and good that it has an out of hours service aswell. just keep trying them and hopefully you will get through soon.

I just checked back and his rump and I didn't see anything (for some reason, there are no eggs or anything). The weather has cooled down and he's eating some veg now. I'll check in the morning again. I hope I'm not risking too much leaving him overnight
Also, I think the reason why the lines haven't got through is because my phone hasn't been working lately but I will ring the vets in the morning for advise and tell the situation just to be safe

Thank you so much for the help :)

Surely you have a house phone you can use?! Please still take your bunny to the vet.. At the very least just to make sure he's okay!

Back