• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear infection

kez

Warren Scout
My rabbit Louie has been diagnosed with kidney failure and the last few days he's not seemed himself but he's weeing and pooing,drinking fine but being a little picky with food, however I've noticed he's shaking his head and scratching his ear a lot, I've looked inside his ear and it looks quite clean although I can see some wax,I've tried to clean his ear out but he's really not liking it and it seems to hurt him, he's at the vets tomorrow but I'm just wondering if this sounds like an ear infection?
Thanks

My rabbit Louie has been diagnosed with kidney failure and the last few days he's not seemed himself but he's weeing and pooing,drinking fine but being a little picky with food, however I've noticed he's shaking his head and scratching his ear a lot, I've looked inside his ear and it looks quite clean although I can see some wax,I've tried to clean his ear out but he's really not liking it and it seems to hurt him, he's at the vets tomorrow but I'm just wondering if this sounds like an ear infection?
Thanks

It could be, yes. Ear mites may also be involved. I would not put anything into his ear canal as that could potentially do more harm than good, especially if the eardrum is perforated.

Good luck at the Vets tomorrow x

Thanks, I hope it's nothing too serious, I thought he might be a bit off due to his kidneys failing but he's running around but just seems irritated by his ear, I'll try to upload a video to show you what he's doing x

Thanks

Hi there :wave:

I'm sorry your wee one has kidney failure. Is he on any medication or fluid therapy for that?

His ear may be troubling him, and a vet can have a much better look down there than we can. It could be wax that's irritating, or ear mites, or (I hope not) an ear infection ....

Good luck at the vets tomorrow :thumb:

I took Louie and he had a plug of wax deep in his ear,the vet managed to get out as much as possible and Louie does seem more comfortable, the vet has advised to clean his ears out once a week, does anyone know of any good ear cleaners?

I took Louie and he had a plug of wax deep in his ear,the vet managed to get out as much as possible and Louie does seem more comfortable, the vet has advised to clean his ears out once a week, does anyone know of any good ear cleaners?

Did the Vet not recommend one ? Did he/she show you how to do it ?

Yeah he said saline but just wondered if there's any other ear cleaners out there? One of my old rabbits had chronic ear problems which required having his ears cleaned out once/ twice a week so I know how to do it, with him I just used saline and that did seem to work well for him but he pretty much had a reaction to any drops we tried with him so saline was the only thing that suited.

You said you cleaned ears before, so I want to add a suggestion given by my vet which you may or may not be doing already.
My vet told me to message the outside of the ear base to work in the drops before trying to remove any wax or dirt.

You said you cleaned ears before, so I want to add a suggestion given by my vet which you may or may not be doing already.
My vet told me to message the outside of the ear base to work in the drops before trying to remove any wax or dirt.

Yes this is a good tip! There are several ear cleaners on the market. Most are made for cats and dogs, though there's the odd 'natural' one for rabbits which I've used.

If saline worked before, then I would use it again. If his kidneys are compromised, you don't want him absorbing additional chemicals if it's not necessary :D

Yeah he said saline but just wondered if there's any other ear cleaners out there? One of my old rabbits had chronic ear problems which required having his ears cleaned out once/ twice a week so I know how to do it, with him I just used saline and that did seem to work well for him but he pretty much had a reaction to any drops we tried with him so saline was the only thing that suited.

I have used saline too, so I'd give that a go first. Sometimes it is not enough though and a product is needed that will actually break down the wax. Saline solution will only sit on top of an impacted plug of wax. Your Vet should advice you as to what the best product may be given your Rabbit's additional problems.

Back