• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sisters reunited didn't go to plan!

Hi all, my household got two rabbits about 8 weeks ago, they were 2 week old sisters. After less than a week they escaped from their hutch in the garden, I managed to get the smaller of the two (Cookie) back in the hutch, but the larger (Caramel) was much harder to catch. We didn't see her for a while and assumed one of the nearby cats had got her. It's a large garden with lots of greenery, bushes hiding places so we hoped she was ok.
Today we found Caramel and I managed to catch her and put her back in the hutch with her sister, we were excited to reunite them, but it didn't go so well. Cookie began putting her head under the larger one and they began violently fighting with fluff going everywhere. We separated them and Cookie's nose was bleeding and her ear slightly torn!
Should they be permanently separated now? They've been apart for 7 weeks after only knowing each other for 2, plus Caramel has been fending for herself while Cookie has lived a domestic life so far...

Any advice?
Thanks for reading

Can i just clarify... did you get the rabbits when they were two weeks old? So, now they are around 9 / 10 weeks old? Or do you mean 2 months old?

They could be 2 boys? Anyway I hope the injured bunny recovers well. You will need to get them both neutered now before trying to bond them. This must be done on neutral territory.

We were told they were 2 weeks old, but I thought they were quite large. I've never had a rabbit before so I didn't question it

Back