• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dusk (03-06-2007 - 04-07-2015) and Candyfloss (arrived 02-07-2008 - 04-07-2015)

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper

To my bunnies,

To Candyfloss and Dusk

I know I’m a bit of a coward doing this to you together, but it felt fitting- I also wasn’t sure if I could do this twice.

That said, you both had different beginnings, so I will start there.

Dusk, I shall start with you little man.

You, like Sunny, like Hope, who have arrived at the Bridge before you, were a product of trying to create a whole new generation of Flashs, Skys and Moons. A successful effort, by all intentions.

From really early on, you were the biggest bunny, and, even before you could open your eyes, you would dig whenever we held you- a trait that you kept, right to the end. The only way we could tell you and Dawn apart was that you were the digger and he was the licker.

You were a very sociable part of your group, one of the six boys, and, before long, I split the boys into two sets of three.

You were very laid back, and stayed bonded with Lightning, until he humped you, and you bit his little boy bits (ouchie- poor Lightning) and then you ended up alone.

You were neutered, but with a high level of boys, there was no one to bond you with. You also ended up needing dentals every 14 weeks. Still, you were cute and loved life. Whenever you went to the vets, they commented on your mooshy face. I never really got to know you until you had your first dental and didn’t recover well at all! I had to nurse you intensively for about 5 days because your body couldn’t rid the anaesthetic, but you learnt to love fuss, and I learnt what a cheeky chappie you were.

Then, just before you turned two, something changed.

Last edited:
Candyfloss, that’s where you come in, but, let’s look at your arrival too.

You were my first rescue bunny, and I stumbled on you at the RSPCA shortly after I’d lost Sweep. You were another white bunny and you had somehow managed to get yourself on top of the large warren hutch in your enclosure. You were very nosey and interested. I saw you the day you arrived and reserved you instantly. You’d been found as a stray, so we had to wait for the 7 days were up to give people a chance to claim you.

You came home ASAP- one the 2nd July 2008.

The first night I’ve never had a rabbit drink as much. Turns out, with hindsight, you hadn’t known how to use a bottle at the Centre, and so had gone without water. This trauma stayed with you for many years after. You, predictably, ended up with a UTI, but you recovered quickly.

I could start with the bonding. At this point, we didn’t know you were blind, and, maybe for that reason, the bond was relatively easy. You slotted in and formed a quad easily and quickly, with the softest bunnies I had.

You had a huge love of people and fuss, and wanted to be adored. You loved to binky, even at this point, and would also do dead bunny flops in whichever direction you could. At one time, you did such an enthusiastic DBF that you did a 360 and landed on your feet! You were a mahoosive foody!

You guys were all happy until one of the Dopeys had a seizure and it freaked you out. After she was taken away to settle, you wouldn’t take her back, so, to reduce stress, you ended up in a pair with Cloud, and The Dopeys ended up back as a pair.

Within a short amount of time, you had also divorced Cloud in similar circumstances, when he had been unwell and had been taken out of the area you guys lived in.

Cloud and The Dopeys slotted back together like they had never been apart but his therefore made you a loner bun, and, as I have already said, Dusk was also a loner bun.

So, I had to try. I did it very, very slowly. It was the slowest and longest bond ever, but when I tried doing it the traditional way, you just fought. It took me three months of having runs next to each other, moving them together, alongside, swapping you guys, over, etc. You eventually moved in together after 3 months, in July 2009. Dusk held you both together because he adored you, and treated you like the Queen Bee you saw yourself as.

The relationship was not an easy one, and anything as simple as nail clipping, led to you fighting him- especially in the early days. I got used to rebonding you both with a car journey. It took me a long time to realise that what created the bond breakdown was that you had a heightened sense of smell, and so anytime a bunny smelt different, you rejected them, as not the bunny you knew them to be. It took even longer for me to work out that you were blind.

It took, something ridiculous like, three years before you groomed Dusk back, but you did finally do it.

You guys were very close, and highly reliant on each other. Dusk was a hormonal ball and, in spring, could mostly be found giving you, Candyfloss a very special ‘spray on tan’, you kept your love for life, and your desire to be Queen Bee. I’ve never seen a bunny binky as high and as often, as you did Flossyface.

You guys were my odd pair. One tiny and black, one large, fat and white! You were horrendous to photograph together, because the lighting only ever benefited one of you at a time, and, despite being a gorgeous bunny Candyfloss, you were hideously unphotogenic. Sorry! Having each other meant that Dusk needed significantly less dentals, and, went from every 14 weeks, to every other year, or something ridiculous like that. You just loved each other and needed each other.

We never really knew Candyfloss’s age, but she came as an adult. We could see you both aging together though, developing arthritis in your hips and spine within months of each other, and both needing daily meds. You’d both have sporadic, acute episodes where you clearly hurt yourselves, but mostly they seemed to be you, Dusk, and mostly when you’d been on a humpfest.

Last edited:
Then, watching your breathing deteriorate Dusk, and seeing how much that started to cripple you. I had to choose my course of treatment for you, based on Candyfloss’s reactions and the likelihood she would divorce you. So, I couldn’t give you meds that required handling, I couldn’t separate to nebulise. So, the options were limited.

You started the steroids and you just dropped weight, losing a huge amount, and, despite all the feeding, not regaining any.

I knew, given how hard you guys were to bond, given the potential age of Candyfloss, given the other bunnies here, that when you died, my options for her would be limited. I had it put on her records that when you were PTS, she would be too. That was more of a safeguard though, against the vets who don’t know me, because, to be honest, I adjusted the setups so she could move and be surrounded by other bunnies, even if she couldn’t be bonded to them.

A couple of weeks ago, you turned 8, Dusk, and so you guys had a lovely time out in the garden, and it was a wonderful opportunity to see that, despite the fact both of you were aging, you still had the attitudes of a young bunny, running, and binkying, and being free. What a privilege for me to witness one last time.

Then life threw a curve ball, and you, my healthy as an ox, big, fat bunny started to show major problems with your breathing on Thursday. I took you to the vets Candyfloss, as you no doubt remember, because BOY were you cross, and he examined you and said ‘yes, there is something wrong’ but he didn’t know what. Maybe it wasn’t detectable, maybe it was his lack of experience, but either way, we didn’t know. What made me laugh though, was, after he’d examined you, and with Dusk sitting in the base of the carry case, you grabbed the edge of the carry case with your teeth and lifted it up and tried to throw it. Made me laugh, but poor old Dusk.

You came home, I tried everything I could for you. Then decided you needed to go back on Saturday. Thankfully, one of our favoured vets was in and when she checked you, she could hear horrendous noises going on inside and everything pointed to some kind of mass, lump, or something, on the right hand side, affecting your right hand lung. Given that there had been no signs two days previously, and huge signs then, we briefly discussed options, but because my greatest fear was you going into respiratory failure, and suffering, and that was getting increasingly likely, I had to let you go.

You fought for a long time, and the words you probably heard from me, as you parted were ‘she always was a complete ****’, which is true! You were. You slipped away very slowly, and you didn’t fight, but you weren’t going easy.

Then came Dusk. What to do with you, Dusk! You were a completely different nature from her. You could have been rebonded. However, you were end stage with your respiratory issues. You were a bad of bones. I didn’t know what to do. I had to consider whether or not it was kindest to let you go, even though, by doing that, I felt that I was failing you, or getting rid of you because you weren’t wanted. I asked the vet to check you over and you had lost a third of your body weight. She said your liver was huge, and that your lungs sounded grim. We discussed it and her feeling was that any tiny knock would kill you; that you had no reserves left. We talked a lot (meaning my appointment was 45 mins, instead of 15 and I made the whole of the waiting room run late) and the vet felt it was kindest to let you go, and I had to agree.

You were unhappy about this and yes, it was before your time, but, what could I have done? Had you home alone and then see you lose your life because you were sad? And so the last days of your life were filled with sadness and loneliness? Nope. That does trip my loneliness stuff out, but I did it because of you, not because I’m scared to die sad and alone, although that probably played a part. You weren’t happy to go, but you did, and quickly.

You were laid, together, snuggled together, in your carry case. You’ve now been cremated together, and will be in the same pouch together; together forever. You come home on Thursday.

Guys, you’ve broken my heart. I feel incredibly, incredibly guilty because I feel like I ‘got rid’ of you Dusk because I can’t cope with any many bunnies. Please, please believe me when I say I did what I thought was best for you. I truly did. You guys made me laugh every day, you greeted me, you snatched your food, you dug my arms, you jumped on my back. You have left a huge, gaping hole, and no way would I have created that unless I absolutely had to. I made the best decision I felt I could.

This grief is similar to when I killed Badger, to when Sandy died unexpectedly, to when Sky was gone. I have never, ever had to make a harder decision than I did yesterday. I let you both go slightly earlier than you were ready- yes, you would have been ready, or have gone, within the near future, but I always tried to wait until bunnies told me, and, this time, I had to tell you guys. Please know, I did it from love.

I keep going to check your area because I’m scared you’re still there and I’m neglecting you by not feeding, watering, medicating you. You’re never there, and your space, which was so alive, looks dead.

My heart breaks for you both.

However, I hope you are both peaceful and are together, somewhere. I hope you also know it was the right thing.

Much love to you both.

Tx

Last edited:

Dusk
03-06-2007 – 04-07-2015

Candyfloss
Arrived 02-07-2008 – 04-07-2015

Last edited:
You always write the most beautiful tributes, but that has to be the best :) Best wishes to you: I hope I'm as brave as you when the time comes :)

What a lovely tribute :love:

Your Mum loved you so much and wanted you to always be together. Run free little ones :love:

Oh gosh, your lovely tributes always have me sobbing,:cry::cry:this one especially so. I wanted to comment to say that I feel you did the right thing, I have always said it is better to let a struggling bunny go a week too early than a day too late. You have made a decision through love, my heart goes out to you
Binky free Dusk And Candyfloss x

I'm so, so sorry :cry: your tribute brought tears to my eyes. They were both beautiful bunnies :( binky free together forever, Candyfloss and Dusk xxx

Beautiful tribute to 2 beautiful buns :cry:
It takes love and real courage to let those we love binky on and no matter how you feel, it was the kindest and most loving thing you could do for them xx

Beautiful tribute :love: I'm so sorry :cry: you did the kindest, hardest and bravest thing for them both. Binky free together forever Candyfloss and Dusk xx

:( Hugs, Dusk and Candyfloss were a lovely, beautiful couple and it is extremely sad you had to say goodbye to both of them, it must be very heartbreaking.

Back