• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Len's Myxi Update

Sarah3075

Young Bun
So after a really worrying day on Saturday (Len was completely lethargic, hardly eating) we woke on Sunday to a much more lively bunny so I think the Metacam must be working. His snuffles have cleared up and he's eating a lot more (he's not so keen on his greens but scoffing loads of hay) and the scabs seem to be shrinking.
We got another email from the vet saying that he had been in touch with the vax manufacturer again and although many bunnies do come through the other side, he couldn't promise that Len wouldn't get worse and that it could possibly be fatal.

I'm allowing myself to believe that as Len is getting better by the day we might be out of the woods, however I think the scabs are really bothering him. He has a big one on his back and when I was grooming him on my bed yesterday, as soon as I got near the scab he started furiously licking my bed! And whenever I've touched it since he licks whatever is near him. I've seem him twisting and struggling to groom his own back and I wonder if it's really itchy. Does anyone know whether I could put some calamine lotion on it, just to make him a little more comfortable?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Hi, I don't know about what if anything you can put on his back, I'm sending lots of vibes for him, and bumping this up hoping someone can help :thumb:

I dont know how I missed this yesterday, I am really sorry. I do hope that he can recover. With regards to the scab on his back, does it look like the other nodules ? I am wondering if it might actually be a reaction that has occurred where the vaccine was administered ? Is there any signs of infection around the scab ? Eg very raised and inflamed skin. I would consult with your Vet before applying anything directly onto the scab.

Hi, I don't know about what if anything you can put on his back, I'm sending lots of vibes for him, and bumping this up hoping someone can help :thumb:
Thanks for the bump and well wishes [emoji4]

So after a really worrying day on Saturday (Len was completely lethargic, hardly eating) we woke on Sunday to a much more lively bunny so I think the Metacam must be working. His snuffles have cleared up and he's eating a lot more (he's not so keen on his greens but scoffing loads of hay) and the scabs seem to be shrinking.
We got another email from the vet saying that he had been in touch with the vax manufacturer again and although many bunnies do come through the other side, he couldn't promise that Len wouldn't get worse and that it could possibly be fatal.

I'm allowing myself to believe that as Len is getting better by the day we might be out of the woods, however I think the scabs are really bothering him. He has a big one on his back and when I was grooming him on my bed yesterday, as soon as I got near the scab he started furiously licking my bed! And whenever I've touched it since he licks whatever is near him. I've seem him twisting and struggling to groom his own back and I wonder if it's really itchy. Does anyone know whether I could put some calamine lotion on it, just to make him a little more comfortable?

Thanks

Hi Sarah

Could the scab on his back be as a result of the vaccination or an injection at all?

I wouldn't use calamine, but if it seemed like the right thing to do (and of course I can't see your bunny) I would carefully apply calendula cream/oil. This is incredibly healing, will stop the itching, and help the scab to come off when it's time.

Poor little Len. Of course he will get better!!

I dont know how I missed this yesterday, I am really sorry. I do hope that he can recover. With regards to the scab on his back, does it look like the other nodules ? I am wondering if it might actually be a reaction that has occurred where the vaccine was administered ? Is there any signs of infection around the scab ? Eg very raised and inflamed skin. I would consult with your Vet before applying anything directly onto the scab.
I think you're completely right Jack's-Jane and it is the vaccination site. It's not inflamed, just scabbed over and seems to be really itchy. I managed to get some special bunny tea tree and aloe cream onto it so hoping that might calm the itching. In terms of the other scabs they seem to have got much smaller (although how much that is down to Piglet grooming him is anyone's guess [emoji1] ).

He seems much brighter in himself and is back up to mischief, which is great to see. We have another appointment with the vet this evening, just for a check up so will ask about the calamine then.

Take care

Hi Sarah

Could the scab on his back be as a result of the vaccination or an injection at all?

I wouldn't use calamine, but if it seemed like the right thing to do (and of course I can't see your bunny) I would carefully apply calendula cream/oil. This is incredibly healing, will stop the itching, and help the scab to come off when it's time.

Poor little Len. Of course he will get better!!
Thanks MightyMax [emoji4] It is more than likely the vaccination site. I just feel so sorry for the poor little thing, because if it is itchy then it must be torture for him, not being able to reach it.

I think you're completely right Jack's-Jane and it is the vaccination site. It's not inflamed, just scabbed over and seems to be really itchy. I managed to get some special bunny tea tree and aloe cream onto it so hoping that might calm the itching. In terms of the other scabs they seem to have got much smaller (although how much that is down to Piglet grooming him is anyone's guess [emoji1] ).

He seems much brighter in himself and is back up to mischief, which is great to see. We have another appointment with the vet this evening, just for a check up so will ask about the calamine then.

Take care

The fact that he is brighter within himself is a great sign. During the first few days the Virus can make the Rabbit febrile and that can make them feel pretty rotten. Hopefully he is going to continue to improve and he'll soon be back to full health.

I am so glad you sound hopeful that your bunny is improving. Sending more vibes for his healing and recovery.

Thanks MightyMax [emoji4] It is more than likely the vaccination site. I just feel so sorry for the poor little thing, because if it is itchy then it must be torture for him, not being able to reach it.

Yes I can imagine that!

You can get calendula cream from Boots if you decide to use it. Very soothing ...

Good luck vibes for Len coming your way xx

Well thanks to everyone for all of the positive vibes, Len's appointment with the vet went really well and he has said that after Friday we can stop the Metacam and it looks as though he's going to make a full recovery!

He decided to take a photo of the scab on his back at the vaccination site and so had to give poor Len a buzz cut :-D At least now it will make putting the ointment on a little easier but Len looks like he's really been in the wars, bless him!

Well thanks to everyone for all of the positive vibes, Len's appointment with the vet went really well and he has said that after Friday we can stop the Metacam and it looks as though he's going to make a full recovery!

He decided to take a photo of the scab on his back at the vaccination site and so had to give poor Len a buzz cut :-D At least now it will make putting the ointment on a little easier but Len looks like he's really been in the wars, bless him!

Ah poor little guy :cry:

Never mind, a full recovery is definitely worth a bit of discomfort and a new haircut :D

Back