• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older Rabbit - acting differently

Kelly11

Warren Scout
Hello

my rabbit daisy is now about 7 and a half maybe 8 years old. recently I have noticed she is sleeping a lot more than usual and when she is sleeping shes in a very deep sleep.
shes eating drinking pooing fine and still runs now and again.
this morning I noticed she peeded in the corner of the run - she never does this and has always used her litter tray - also she seems to be drinking more

don't know if im just being paranoid and shes just getting older .... ive booked her into vets later just incase but just wondered if anyone else noticed this as their bun got older

just hope shes ok I lost Dillon last year and cant bare to loose her ... we bonded her with noel last year who is only 2 so hes young and active which might not help but they do snooze together and groom and seem fine

I think it depends on the rabbit more than the age. I have an 8 and 9 yr old pair and they sleep most of the time, except when they are eating! I would mention the unusual place where she wee'd to the Vet. Hope all is well.

Yeah shes never been a dead active rabbit - I think because I have noel now and hes very active I notice it more? shes never really been a play rabbit with toys etc lol she sleeps eats and poops haah! btu she just seems to be drinking a bit more (could be the weather) and reall deep sleeping - but yeh the wee thing was strange shes never done that - shes in at the vets at 4 so hopefully its nothing :) xxx

Hi, I have an 8 yr old doe, Ginny and a 3 yr old buck, widget, who live together and are often in a tight snuggle. Ginny had a stroke 2 yrs ago but recovered really well. As she is ageing her joints are getting quite stiff and she often pees and poops on the floor. The vet gave Metacam and I give her a dose every 2 or 3 days which seems to keep her comfortable. Your bunny may be getting a bit stiff. I'm sure the vet can help. Good luck!

Is she maintaining her weight ?

Older Rabbits can develop arthritis which can present in them being less active, loss of litter tray habits. If you take a look at the fur on her hocks it may be a bit thinner than it used to be. A sign that the Rabbit may be having some mobility issues.

Drinking more could be due to the warm weather. But other health related issues can also cause a Rabbit to drink more, so a Vet check is certainly a good idea.

Hello

my rabbit daisy is now about 7 and a half maybe 8 years old. recently I have noticed she is sleeping a lot more than usual and when she is sleeping shes in a very deep sleep.
shes eating drinking pooing fine and still runs now and again.
this morning I noticed she peeded in the corner of the run - she never does this and has always used her litter tray - also she seems to be drinking more

don't know if im just being paranoid and shes just getting older .... ive booked her into vets later just incase but just wondered if anyone else noticed this as their bun got older

just hope shes ok I lost Dillon last year and cant bare to loose her ... we bonded her with noel last year who is only 2 so hes young and active which might not help but they do snooze together and groom and seem fine

I agree with Tonibun - it depends more on the rabbit than on the age. Some buns slow down, arthritis and poor eyesight being two reasons for less mobility.

As for the peeing, to be sure she is OK in that department, your vet can express some urine from her bladder and send it off for a culture and sensitivity test. Then you'll know for sure she has no sludge or infection and it's probably due to her age.

What a lovely old dear she must be, having those wonderful deep sleeps x

shes gorgeous I love her so much xxxxxx shs so strong and tough like she had a dental 2 years ago and her teeth have been fine ever since and after the surgery she was eating straight away, when she was neatured she was running around next day jumpin lol shes so tough! which is another reason I worry as she hides things lol

shes eating drinking and poos are fine just shes never had a wee in that spot before so just thought it was odd but hopefully a vet visit will calm me down - sat her at work worrying just want to go home and see her :) xxxx

Is she maintaining her weight ?

Older Rabbits can develop arthritis which can present in them being less active, loss of litter tray habits. If you take a look at the fur on her hocks it may be a bit thinner than it used to be. A sign that the Rabbit may be having some mobility issues.

Drinking more could be due to the warm weather. But other health related issues can also cause a Rabbit to drink more, so a Vet check is certainly a good idea.

yeah her weight is fine always 1.87 or 1.89 :) xx

went to the vets and they took a scan of her belly and couldn't see anything alarming - bit of gas but no stones or anything, also taken some bloods so back in tomorrow for results
they weighed her and her weight has gone from 1.87 to 1.6 but we have been away for 2 wks and we took them to finland park bunny hotel they had a stable was great but weve only been home a wk and she said it could be something to do with that - shes not done this before but now shes older could be more sensitive

weve been given some baytril and it seems to of perked her up already lol so fingers crossed its nothing to much to worry about and we will get her weight back up! xxxx

Back