• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Miffy nipping Max

Max's mum

New Kit
We got Miffy from a rescue a few months ago as a friend for Max. They generally get on well together but at times Miffy will nip Max. Sometimes it looks as though she wants him to move but sometimes it seems to be for no reason. She sometimes nips him on the bum but quite often nips his tummy. There is no lunging involved. She just puts her head under him and nips.

She will groom him. I don't think I have ever seen him groom her. This couldn't be a grooming thing could it?

When she has been nipping him he generally stays away from her but when she isn't nipping they will lay and sit together.

She will sometimes nip my daughter and me if we are in her way. She hates being picked up and really snarled at me and drew blood one time when I went to pick her up ( I actually had a dream after that happened that she was an aggressive dog, so I am a little nervous around her).

She gets very excited when it is feeding time and will sometimes nip Max so that she can get to the food first. She will climb all over me then but if I don't have food she is not really that interested in me. She will let me stroke her back for a short time.

Max is very laid back and I feel so sorry for him. He seems confused when he gets nipped but doesn't fight back in any way.

If Miffy nips me I say ow or no. When I have been in the run and seen her nipping Max I do the same although last night I shut her in the playhouse for a few minutes while I groomed Max.

They live in a 5 by 4 foot playhouse with constant access to a 10 by 6 foot dig proof run.

Is this behaviour normal? Do you think it is likely to escalate? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think this behaviour is normal between some rabbit pairs. I am looking after a friend's rabbit atm and Pip the male charges after Page (correct sp!). My friend has told me he will nip her bottom if she is cleaning out their room, but having said that they are lovely rabbits which I rescued a couple of years ago, so in the rabbit world this is normal. I expect the behaviour will be worse at meal times as all rabbits get excited then, I get worried if they don't! Also as they have plenty of space the boy can run away when she gets in a bossy mood. So, as long as she isn't hurting him. I wouldn't worry. Maybe say No now and then and some, not all, understand.

Back