• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering Giants....

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Not been on here in years! I sadly recently lost Gizmo. He was 9 :(

I got 2 12 week old male conti's yesterday. The man said they hadn't been fighting, however they've had a couple scraps since being here. I assume it's hormones but I can't see plums yet!
Would I be ok to provisionally book their neuter appointment for about 2 weeks time? I really don't want to seperate them if I can avoid it at all.

Best discussing it with a vet. The vet I used wouldn't neuter my giants until they were at least 10 months, something to do with bone growth.

PS. Sorry for your loss x

If I had to wait until 10 months, they would have certinatly fallen our by then. I'm getting told it's fine from 12 weeks. Others say no. It's confusing. I'm tempted to book an appointment for say around 7th july, as a neuter but if I get there and they aren't ready then I know.

If I had to wait until 10 months, they would have certinatly fallen our by then. I'm getting told it's fine from 12 weeks. Others say no. It's confusing. I'm tempted to book an appointment for say around 7th july, as a neuter but if I get there and they aren't ready then I know.

I think discussing it with your rabbit-savvy vet might be a better idea for everyone.

I'm in the same position as you! My Contis are 11 weeks old and trying to work out when to neuter isn't easy! I've got a boy and a girl and we went for a consultation on Monday. My vet advised to get Bruce done first as the operation isn't as major and it would be easier to get him nipped first to negate the risk of babies... Anywhere from 13/14 weeks for him.

With Nyssa he's advised me to aim for the 16-20 week mark to give her time to get more growing done before putting her through the operation. As long as we can get her before she starts getting ratty and hormonal, basically.

My boys are 13 weeks next week, so I'm kind of hoping they give the go ahead for the next week or 2. I want to nip it in the bud before fights get serious.

Update. .. I have a boy and a girl, his bits haven't appeared yet. But booking them in for exactly 4 weeks today for them both to get done.

Update. .. I have a boy and a girl, his bits haven't appeared yet. But booking them in for exactly 4 weeks today for them both to get done.

I'm sure that was a bit of a surprise for you! Glad you don't have to wait the ten months like MummyBunny did!

You can imagine what a nightmare it was :lol: I had one aggressive bun and one sprayer! I was meant to wait 12 months but I just couldn't wait any longer. My now bunny savvy vet would have done the ops at 6 months, if only I knew her back then!

Please keep a close eye on him as really he should be done as soon as his plums appear, so you may have to bring at least his operation forward.

Normally I would say wait until six months to neuter giants, but given opposite sexes you will have to do the male as soon as he drops. But you should wait to do her.

As they are big they develop later so that reduces the risk of pregnancy. He will be fertile before she is so as long as you are vigilant they should be able to stay together. But he may not drop for a while. My first giant was thought to be female by one rescue, then a vet said he was a neutered male, but when he reached me he had dropped! He was close to six months by then. The rescue had put him with an unspeyed doe who had two babies two weeks after they came to me. Luckily I had had him neutered by that so they didn't have to be separated.

Back