• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Attention seeking?

shmam

New Kit
Hi all,

I have a four year old lion head lop who's been with me for the past two and a half years. I rescued him myself and he lived with a Polish family before coming to me. He is an indoor rabbit.
Over the past twelve months I've seen a sharp rise in his behavioural problems (in this period, myself and my boyfriend separated and I have moved house). He frequently grunts or goes for my hand if I put hay in his cage. He also digs out his litter tray (even when it's clean) and it's almost like he knows it's wrong, because when I tell him off, he gets that look of, 'it wasn't me!' He is digging at my carpet (despite having two layers of it) and will kick up a fuss if he has to go somewhere, such as the vets or to stay with a friend (takes three of us to cut his nails - he was a bad handling rabbit from a young one too).
If I go to stroke him he will go for me, however, seems to love my current boyfriend, which is most frustrating! I also have a problem getting him back into his cage (he has a little run area in my living room as he cannot be trusted with the full room) and he will often grunt or drag his bum so he doesn't have to move. Not to mention, as soon as you open the fridge door, he's there. It's like living with a dog!

I'm considering rehoming him because he is becoming a frustration to have around instead of us being able to having a good relationship. I don't quite know how to discipline him or retrain him, as he is very set in his ways because I don't think he was handled/cared for right as a bunny. Basically, he is like an old man!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hello:wave: There's a few things that will almost definitely help, i dont know if these already apply?
neutering. makes for a much calmer bunny with better litter habits
as much space as possible, with plenty of enrichment, safe things for bun to chew (loads of hay) & play with
a spayed girl bunny from a rescue would give him focus on other things, bunnies work best in pairs or groups (although they can still be naughty)

theres loads more info on how to achieve these things. Do tell us more & ask away. I thought I knew loads about bunnies but have learnt a whole lot more since joining here :)

HIIII:D
He has been neutered already & I can't keep him out in his area during the day when I'm at work because he loves to dig at the carpet :( His space is limited inside the cage; has a few sticks, hay and water. I thought about getting a female, however, I thought it would be silly considering I can't even control the one I've got! Plus, I find Lowen (the rabbit) very tying as it is and he is so unsocial and grumpy it's untrue lol.
What else would you like to know? Any tips on how to make him happier and better behaved, i.e not acting like a teenager is really what I need. I don't want to rehome him but feel like I have to :(

As Joey&boo said

(A rabbit should always have permanent access to a run and should never be confined to a cage - there are some excellent ideas in the Housing section).

Definitely neutering and bonding with a spayed female would make him a much more settled and contented rabbit ... and much nicer to have around

Last edited:
there's no shame in rehoming a bunny if you can't find a solution that addresses his needs & your own. It would be good to avoid if your heart is in trying to make this work as there are so many bunnies in rescue needing homes. Its likely there are things you can do that most likely will help but it'll depend on how much you are willing & able to give up in financial & practical terms. Rabbits have legally recognised rights to healthcare, space, companionship..

there are amazing indoor set ups. Search the forums here for inspiration. You could build in carpet protection. but i really do believe he needs space, enrichment & a bunny friend - it all improves behaviour no end. Or maybe move him outside in a safe & spacious set up -he'd need a mate though to stop him getting lonely & frightened

Thanks for your ideas :) I'm thinking of maybe panelling his section off, so that the carpet doesn't get wrecked. I'm not sure if he's massively fussed on a lot of space, as even when the door to his area is open, he'll lay in his litter tray (!!) or on the inside of the cage. Just feels a bit mean to cage him during the day, but that's what's having to happen at the moment. I'm in a flat so can't put him outside, which is a shame.
Does anyone recommend a way to stop the litter tray digging?

Last edited:
he will dig the litter tray cos he will be bored without a wifey & space. Bunnies like to dig. Keeping rabbits isn't about stopping natural behaviours like digging, rather its providing for it.

That's true. The problem is I can't give him anymore space nor take on a little female :( hence why I thought he would be better somewhere else, where someone could probably give him a wife!

a0kpk0.jpg

This is what he has atm...will have to turn head and excuse Paul Hollywood!

:lol: considered Mr Hollywood excused!

I'm with the suggestions mentioned above and also agree that there is no shame in rehoming if it happened to be, it's just not right. It happens.

But I do think that a companion will help along with space etc. Rabbits also enjoy to dig, have you got any actual digging spots? Also with the carpet, I've a few bald spots in the corners where Rosie is determined (usually a spot where she wants into a room she isn't allowed in). It does get to be obsessive.

We have a carpeted flat so can't let her loose when I'm not in or at night but I restrict her to the bathroom and hall which covers the minimum space allowance, nothing really for her to destroy or to get herself hurt on (as well as added bonus on it being tile so it will help keep her cool in hotter months if/when needed). Some people I know get massive play pens or set up tunnels to essentially allow run area that is controlled.

There are many ideas on this forum and on pinterest (so jealous of some of them) or even if you can get a bigger run but basically have a flooring (eg big sheet of kitchen vinyl stuff or tent grounding sheet - something to make it something they can't chew) and that way they have bigger enclosure but with better protection for the carpet?

Back