• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urinating Less

PoppyTheRex

Young Bun
Hello bunny lovers!

I recently took Poppy and Storm to the Vet for their monthly check up. Each time I have them weighed, have their heart listened to and tummies checked. And if nails need clipping that too! Both rabbits put on some weight, Poppy 2.9 and Storm 2.6 The Vet suggested cutting down on the pellets which they get in the morning. I'd been giving them too much, so I cut it to an egg cup size. I've also introduced them to romaine lettuce, parsley and mint. But since those changes, both of them seem to be urinating less. Is this caused by the decrease in pellets? I feel like I'd be more alarmed if it was just one of them with this problem, but seeing as both have had a change, it seems logical that the slight change in their diet may be the culprit. Of course, I'd like to hear feedback to put my mind at rest? (^_^)

Rabbits urinate less in warmer weather to regulate their hydration status. It has been a lot warmer recently. Are they eating lots of hay ? If they are not and are only really eating the reduced amount of pellets and the Veg then they may also be drinking less water. So you need to be absolutely certain that they are eating a lot of hay all day every day. Not just pulling at a few strands now and again. Whilst overweight Rabbits need to go on a diet it is very important that the weightloss is achieved gradually. So I would weigh both Rabbits every 2-3 days.

For now I would just remain vigilant and make sure that their poo output remains normal and that their is no sign of urinary incontinence, straining to urinate, inappetence etc. Also, keep a look out for any evidence of 'sludgy urine'.

Hello bunny lovers!

I recently took Poppy and Storm to the Vet for their monthly check up. Each time I have them weighed, have their heart listened to and tummies checked. And if nails need clipping that too! Both rabbits put on some weight, Poppy 2.9 and Storm 2.6 The Vet suggested cutting down on the pellets which they get in the morning. I'd been giving them too much, so I cut it to an egg cup size. I've also introduced them to romaine lettuce, parsley and mint. But since those changes, both of them seem to be urinating less. Is this caused by the decrease in pellets? I feel like I'd be more alarmed if it was just one of them with this problem, but seeing as both have had a change, it seems logical that the slight change in their diet may be the culprit. Of course, I'd like to hear feedback to put my mind at rest? (^_^)

Hi there :wave:

I was going to suggest that as they were eating more veggies and less pellets, they would be drinking less water and therefore urinating less, but I believe that they would still urinate the same, as the water content of the veggies has to come out somewhere!

For now I wouldn't worry, because as you say, they are both experiencing the same issue. What I would just keep an eye out for is any calcium deposits you notice in their litter tray. When urine output is decreased, sometimes a 'sludge' builds up - this is highly unlikely in this short space of time, but one to note perhaps for the future.

Back