• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice regarding dental

benjiboom

Warren Scout
Benji has been on metacam since his last dental in september last year, so he has to see our vet every 3 months to keep a check on things, on his examination last week the vet saw a flash of red on his cheek which indicated that he may need a dental because he may have a spur, I had 2 options, leave it and see how he goes as he is eating and pooing normally, or have the dental done now before he becomes poorly or before he stops eating and may need to see an emergency vet! What I decided on was plan B , have the dental done now while he is well, what does everyone on here think? All advice gratefully received!!

Why has he needed Metacam since his last dental ? Is it due to him having elongated tooth roots that were identified via skull radiographs ?

Is he maintaining his weight and is his poo output normal-ie poos not getting smaller ?

I would ask the Vet to re-check his mouth this week and if the 'red flash' is still evident I would be minded to want the Dental done given his previous history. It is always a huge advantage to have Dentals done before the Rabbit actually stops eating.

Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Benji has been on metacam since his last dental in september last year, so he has to see our vet every 3 months to keep a check on things, on his examination last week the vet saw a flash of red on his cheek which indicated that he may need a dental because he may have a spur, I had 2 options, leave it and see how he goes as he is eating and pooing normally, or have the dental done now before he becomes poorly or before he stops eating and may need to see an emergency vet! What I decided on was plan B , have the dental done now while he is well, what does everyone on here think? All advice gratefully received!!

If the vet thinks there may be ulceration of the cheek from a molar spur, and his advice is to have a dental now, then I would certainly get it done sooner rather than later.

Yes, I agree with Jane and MightyMax, if the 'red flash' is still there then I'd have the dental done now, while he is well and eating and before any serious damage is done to the soft tissue.

Hope all goes well for Benji. xx

Why has he needed Metacam since his last dental ? Is it due to him having elongated tooth roots that were identified via skull radiographs ?

Is he maintaining his weight and is his poo output normal-ie poos not getting smaller ?

I would ask the Vet to re-check his mouth this week and if the 'red flash' is still evident I would be minded to want the Dental done given his previous history. It is always a huge advantage to have Dentals done before the Rabbit actually stops eating.

Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Thankyou all for your replies. Jane, Benji is still eating normally and his weight has been the same on every visit. I think I will go ahead with the dental and then my vet can have a good look in his mouth at the same time whilst he is under anaesthetic,. He was put on metacam to keep him eating on both sides of his mouth as my vet thinks he may have been using just one side as it was uncomfortable for him, it does seem to be lengthening the gaps between dentals as it is nearly a year since his last one. I just dont like the idea of him going under anaesthetic if it can be helped .

Thankyou all for your replies. Jane, Benji is still eating normally and his weight has been the same on every visit. I think I will go ahead with the dental and then my vet can have a good look in his mouth at the same time whilst he is under anaesthetic,. He was put on metacam to keep him eating on both sides of his mouth as my vet thinks he may have been using just one side as it was uncomfortable for him, it does seem to be lengthening the gaps between dentals as it is nearly a year since his last one. I just dont like the idea of him going under anaesthetic if it can be helped .

Yes I really understand how you feel! How they react on one visit can be totally different on another, so you are right to be cautious :)

I'd ask the Vet if skull radiographs could be taken whilst he's under GA. This would provide information about his tooth roots. If he has pain and unequal attrition then the primary problem may be elongated tooth roots.

You may be interested in this:

http://www.manorvets.co.uk/ckfinder/userfiles/files/dental dz(1).pdf

Thankyou Mighty Max! It's horrible going to the vets for Benji and for me!!

Well you know, it's best to know the devil you're dealing with, rather than bury your head in the sand (which we all like to do). Hard though it is .... I really feel for you :wave:

Back