• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the loss of benny bunny

cazba99

Young Bun
I am not one for technology so not sure I am doing this right (should I have started a new thread?) but I am desperate and don't know who to turn to. My house Rex rabbit Benny Bunny died in my arms yesterday as my husband and I were taking him to the vets. They couldn't say why he died without a post mortem but they think it was a heart attack. Well, I am 52 years old and I cannot stop crying. I have lost other pets before - rabbits when I was a kid, and lots of cats since then. But Benny was only 2 and he seemed so fit and healthy, always running, binkying and doing ninja jumps onto the back of the couch. We had a special room for him (we would sit, relax and even eat in this room with them on the two sofas) and his partner DeeDee, we built a wooden tunnel behind the couch stuffed full of cardboard and they spent hours digging. He loved DeeDee and they spent an enormous part of each day, grooming each other, lying next to each other. He would lie on his side and DeeDee would rest her head on his belly. I can't believe he is gone, and she (and us) is bereft. But Benny was a magical bunny. He appeared on our lawn at a time when my husband and I were very unhappy and stressed and then, once we adopted him (we couldn't find his previous owners) everything seemed to get better. Everyday we couldn't help but smile as he lolloped around the kitchen as we were making our breakfast, no matter what was going on, and life suddenly seemed to be full of joy. I cannot help but feel that now he is gone there will be no more joy. Ever. I have never come across a creature more spiritual - he was the living embodiment of courage and living in the moment. He was not afraid of anyone or anything, everyone - cat, dog, human - was a potential friend. He was open minded about everyone. I wish I could live my life like him, but without him, I'm not sure I can 'live' at all. It feels like existing. I have to go to work tomorrow and am not sure I can go through with it. I know people will think "for goodness sake, it was just a rabbit!"

Last edited:
I am not one for technology so not sure I am doing this right (should I have started a new thread?) but I am desperate and don't know who to turn to. My house Rex rabbit Benny Bunny died in my arms yesterday as my husband and I were taking him to the vets. They couldn't say why he died without a post mortem but they think it was a heart attack. Well, I am 52 years old and I cannot stop crying. I have lost other pets before - rabbits when I was a kid, and lots of cats since then. But Benny was only 2 and he seemed so fit and healthy, always running, binkying and doing ninja jumps onto the back of the couch. We had a special room for him (we would sit, relax and even eat in this room with them on the two sofas) and his partner DeeDee, we built a wooden tunnel behind the couch stuffed full of cardboard and they spent hours digging. He loved DeeDee and they spent an enormous part of each day, grooming each other, lying next to each other. He would lie on his side and DeeDee would rest her head on his belly. I can't believe he is gone, and she (and us) is bereft. But Benny was a magical bunny. He appeared on our lawn at a time when my husband and I were very unhappy and stressed and then, once we adopted him (we couldn't find his previous owners) everything seemed to get better. Everyday we couldn't help but smile as he lolloped around the kitchen as we were making our breakfast, no matter what was going on, and life suddenly seemed to be full of joy. I cannot help but feel that now he is gone there will be no more joy. Ever. I have never come across a creature more spiritual - he was the living embodiment of courage and living in the moment. He was not afraid of anyone or anything, everyone - cat, dog, human - was a potential friend. He was open minded about everyone. I wish I could live my life like him, but without him, I'm not sure I can 'live' at all. It feels like existing. I have to go to work tomorrow and am not sure I can go through with it. I know people will think "for goodness sake, it was just a rabbit!"

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Well no one on here will ever think the phrase "just a rabbit". We get how you feel and most of us have been there. It's awful to lose someone that gave us such joy, and so soon - poor both of you and DeeDee.

However, the joy that he brought, he also left behind. You are not the same person you were when he arrived. You've changed and you can't go back. Now you have a shining example of 'living in the moment', and it won't be now, or even soon, but you will be able to feel that eventually. You have learned from him and he's given you a beautiful gift.

Grieving takes it's own time. Remember to put love into DeeDee, as I'm sure you will, and she will blossom in his absence. You may even want to think of another boy - not to take his place, but to love and cherish as you did Benny.

Sending you gentle hugs x

I know exactly how you feel and I'm very sorry you're feeling that pain. I can't say it any better than MightyMax said. Very sorry for your loss.

thank you both for your kind thoughts. I have just fed DeeDee and she seems to be eating OK. I guess she is coping with it better than us. We let her sit with Benny's body for a couple of hours before we buried him. I held him in my arms myself for an hour and my husband had to prise him out of my arms as I didn't want to let him go.

thank you both for your kind thoughts. I have just fed DeeDee and she seems to be eating OK. I guess she is coping with it better than us. We let her sit with Benny's body for a couple of hours before we buried him. I held him in my arms myself for an hour and my husband had to prise him out of my arms as I didn't want to let him go.

Animals very often accept these things as part of the cycle of nature - life and death ... Not to say she won't get lonely without him.

I can really empathise with you not wanting to let him go. It's heart wrenching. What will you do with Benny now?

Thanks for your kindness. We have buried him in the garden wrapped in one of my husband's shirts, we buried him with one of his half chewed apple twigs, which he loved, a toilet roll he had started chewing on, and one of the plastic cups he used to throw around or play "find the lady" with bunny treats under. I also put a beautiful piece of haemotite crystal in with him. We will have to wait and see if we will get another partner for DeeDee, they were both very young when they bonded, so I don't really want her to be alone for the rest of her life, but I guess we will have to see what she wants in a few weeks. I'm not sure how I will know what she wants though......

Thanks for your kindness. We have buried him in the garden wrapped in one of my husband's shirts, we buried him with one of his half chewed apple twigs, which he loved, a toilet roll he had started chewing on, and one of the plastic cups he used to throw around or play "find the lady" with bunny treats under. I also put a beautiful piece of haemotite crystal in with him. We will have to wait and see if we will get another partner for DeeDee, they were both very young when they bonded, so I don't really want her to be alone for the rest of her life, but I guess we will have to see what she wants in a few weeks. I'm not sure how I will know what she wants though......

That's just lovely, what you did for Benny :love:

I should give all of yourselves some time right now, and take things as they come up. It may be obvious to you that she is lonely, but not necessarily so. I had a bun who after her partner departed was happy on her own for a while. She made it clear when she wanted another mate, and we got her one :D

I'm so sorry to hear and I am not surprised it was a shock as he was so young. MightMax and said it all and then some, can't put anything better than that.

But it does sound vry touching and personal what you did. But I agree, take time for yourselves to come to terms and same for DeeDee, she will be fine on her own for a while and it's important to give yourselves a little bit of time before planning a new stage

Oh I'm so sorry. We all understand "soul bunnies". Binky Free little one. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much. The world seems grey without him, but your kind thoughts are making us feel less alone.

That's just lovely, what you did for Benny :love:

I should give all of yourselves some time right now, and take things as they come up. It may be obvious to you that she is lonely, but not necessarily so. I had a bun who after her partner departed was happy on her own for a while. She made it clear when she wanted another mate, and we got her one :D

Thank you again. I just want to ask, how did she make it clear to you that she was ready for a new partner? I want to know what to look out for as we are anxious to do the right thing by HER and not just ourselves. There is no rush, I know, but it would be helpful to know how your bun communicated this to you.

Hello there. I am so sorry you have lost Benny. Some rabbits leave an enormous void in your heart when they leave us. He sounds as if he had a large personality. You will know if Deedee is feeling lonely as she will look a bit quiet and miserable. I am sure you will know.

I'm so sorry that you lost your bunny, especially when it was so unexpected. It sounds as though the time that they had with you was filled with love. The loss of a rabbit is hard to explain to anyone who hasn't cared for a rabbit, it somehow feels different to the loss of other pets, I think because bunnies are so smart and can have an understanding with their owner. I hope each day will be a little easier for you, that the sadness you're feeling will lessen and that the joy you shared with your bunny will help mend your broken heart. RIP Benny.

Thank you again. I just want to ask, how did she make it clear to you that she was ready for a new partner? I want to know what to look out for as we are anxious to do the right thing by HER and not just ourselves. There is no rush, I know, but it would be helpful to know how your bun communicated this to you.

Well to begin with she was happy to be on her own, and in some way relieved even though she had got on extremely well with her partner. She had a lot of attention from us and buzzed around. However, after a while she seemed to go into herself and was not so lively. The 'light' went from her eyes and I could tell she was more existing than living. She lost the enthusiasm that she once had ...

It was then that I thought of getting her a friend.

I'm so sorry you lost your friend, such a sad time. We're all here for you, and we totally understand how you feel.
Binky free little benny at the rainbow bridge xxx

Well to begin with she was happy to be on her own, and in some way relieved even though she had got on extremely well with her partner. She had a lot of attention from us and buzzed around. However, after a while she seemed to go into herself and was not so lively. The 'light' went from her eyes and I could tell she was more existing than living. She lost the enthusiasm that she once had ...

It was then that I thought of getting her a friend.

Thank you for the information. We are keeping a close eye on her. She is eating which is a good sign and she had a bit of a dig in the tunnel we made for them which is also encouraging. She was never as active as Benny so it's going to be a bit tricky to work out her mood I think, but the eating and digging is positive we think.

Last edited:
Aww I'm so sorry for your loss, perhaps Benny had an under lying heart problem as it can happen and he was so young Bless him :cry:

Binky free forever all well again at the Bridge Benny xxxx

Thinking of you and sending hugs xxx

Back