• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend for Poppy - same sex?

PoppyRabbit

Warren Scout
Once Poppy has been spayed (vet said she is still too small at 6/7 months but maybe in a couple more months) i would possibly like to get her a friend.
I have been looking around at rescue rabbits in general and today i found this one...

c2d75e23f9e23afb7562db3176cb9960.jpg

Funnily enough she is also called Poppy! I love her already, more than any other rabbit i have seen which would suit my Poppy's age and size, however obviously its another little girl.

Does anyone have two females together bonded? Would it be a complete no-no or would it be possible? I know that all bondings can go wrong potentially and that they take a lot of time and patience and research.

I am not ready yet but would i have to get a neutered male or would a spayed female be ok?
Thoughts?

Thanks!

as far as i know a bond between 2 females is the hardest, but of course worth a go if you're really determined. personally i would look for a neutered male just to increase the chances of success

as far as i know a bond between 2 females is the hardest, but of course worth a go if you're really determined. personally i would look for a neutered male just to increase the chances of success

I would agree. It's certainly not impossible for two females to get along (even two Poppies!). But I have bonded loads and loads of males and females and never once has it *not* worked. That's not to say it's foolproof - maybe I've just been lucky :D

Even sisters don't get along at times, but if you have the resources you could also get a neutered male a have a trio. The male hopefully will keep the 2 girls happy if he is the dominant bunny.

It's just a thought for now, not for another 6 months or so at least!
And this Poppy will have gone by then i am sure.
Just wondered if two girls would be ok generally or if she had to have a husbun!

None of my girls have ever gotten along :( they've all fought terribly. A neutered boy and a spayed girl is definitely the easiest pairing from my experience, (which is probably why Poppy's rescue ad says that they preferably want to rehome her to someone with a neutered male). I've found boys to be so much easier, I had a trio of un-related boys living together blissfully :love:

This ^ although my quad are three bonded sisters and a buck

I think I'd go for a boy-girl pairing too. They'll be many bunnies that are likely steal your heart just as much as the 2 Poppys have (& understandably so). My advice: go easy on yourself for the first bond & that's not 2 girls, esp as house buns which I think make it a bit more difficult when it comes down to neutral areas

My first two rabbits were both girls.... I didn't really understand the bonding experience at that time so think it was pure luck but mine were great friends (thankfully no fighting ever!).

When Poppy died I got Hugo who I bonded with Parker (so boy girl pair) and I do think they have a different relationship...a lot closer and seem in love rather than just friends!

Back