• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spoke too soon

HarrytheHop

Young Bun
After a promising first date this morning, it's all gone wrong and Petal and Freddie have had a fight when I put them back together this evening. He was terrorising her with biting and fur pulling, as well as humping, which she was quite submissive to. He then started lunging at her, making her squeak before they then launched into a full on fight, which I broke up.
Not sure what to do now. I've contacted the rescue and wonder about trying her with one of the other boys. My gut instinct now is that this match isn't going to be a straightforward one and I just haven't got the nerves for a stressful bond at the moment. I had so much trauma losing Hoppy in the way I did and I can't stand seeing Petal stressed and terrified, especially as bonding her is supposed to be for her benefit.

You know I had exactly the same. When I had Bunbuns being bonded the first boy she was with, all looked fantastic at the rescue. They got on really well, all seemed great. but when they came home, he changed. no idea what it was, but he went from this cute cuddly bunny to something scared and aggressive. They were fine for a short while, then fought etc. I gave them two days, that was enough, I knew it wasn't right, and the rescue lady too said she wanted him back as she didn't feel it was right. She had a new buck coming in who was only 8 months at the time, still needed being neutered etc, so we arranged to wait and let Bunbuns recover etc. Two weeks ago, well two and a half now, they were introduced and it couldn't be more different. they snuggled up from the first night being together and they are literally inseparable. They came back home 12 days ago, and all went really, really smooth. no fighting, they are always together, snuggled up, grooming each other etc... so I'd say, if they keep fighting, follow your gut and try a different boy. with Bunbuns a younger one worked, and since Petal sounds like she's quite calm and quieter like my Bunbuns, you may find a younger one working better with her too. I was unsure if I should try after the first experience and I think sounds like I was feeling exactly the way you do right now, but seeing them together now it was the right thing to do. not all buns work together, just try her with a different one. how old is she by the way?

Aw, I'm sorry its not worked out as harmoniously as you'd hoped. I hope your buns or perhaps you & the rescue can work something out. Does the rescue help with bonding - I am totally with you that it can be a super stressful experience. I coped better with bunny health issues than bonding cos I felt so guilty I'd inflicted the situation on them - especially the new girl who was bullied in the early days. I hope the rescue is supportive & that one way or another Petal finds love again.

Back