• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Contagious diseases.....

alsh

New Kit
Im going to a wedding at the end of the month and I'm starting to panic about my bunnies while I'm gone. I'm only going to be a few miles away and I'll only be leaving them for around 24 hours. My parents will be home after about 12 hours as they aren't staying over like me, but it's a long time for them to be cooped in the cage and it'll overrun their tea time haha.

I work at a kennels, and we have facilities for rabbits so I had planned to book them in there. The girls who work there are trained to work with rabbits, the enclosures that they would be in were originally designed for cats so they have plenty of space and are made from plastic and metal with linoleum floors (like my rabbits have in their hutch anyway). But the closer it gets the more I'm apprehensive.... We regularly board RSPCA animals when their centres are too full, (for example a few weeks ago we cared for a rabbit with severe dandruff mites). And some of you may of seen my post last week about the abandoned baby bunny which died mysteriously during the night, he came from there...

So... What sort of things could my rabbits catch while being in there? They are both vaccinated against VHD and myxomatosis, but what else? And how do they catch them? And how long would the infectious spores survive in the environment? AND is it safe for them to be in the same room (in separate enclosures) as ducks and chickens?

Am I just being really silly? :roll:

I don't think it's worth all the stress and maybe picking something up for 24 hours. Bunnies will be fine I am sure and if they could speak they would say they'd rather stay home.

I don't think it's worth all the stress and maybe picking something up for 24 hours. Bunnies will be fine I am sure and if they could speak they would say they'd rather stay home.

It's lovely you care so much for your buns :love:

However, I do agree with Tonibun - they would most likely prefer to stay home :D

I'm sure they would be much happier at home as long as they have permanent access to their run.

Back