• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 sister advice please

pollypocket

Warren Scout
I've got 2 almost 14 week old sisters.
I keep being told to separate them at 16 weeks then rebond once they are spayed.
Is it necessary to separate them at 16 weeks? I'd rather play it by ear and separate if necessary.

Not sure who gave you that advice and did not explain that the sisters are likely to become hormonal and perhaps fight at around that age, risking their future relationship once they are spayed.

Nothing is set in stone - that is just general guidance.

Not sure who gave you that advice and did not explain that the sisters are likely to become hormonal and perhaps fight at around that age, risking their future relationship once they are spayed.

Nothing is set in stone - that is just general guidance.

I've been told it several times on another forum when I've said how old they are, also a couple of bunny friends have advised it.
Yes they did say about them becoming hormonal so I understand the reasons behind it, but I wondered if it was better to play it by ear rather than just separate them as they have reached that age.

I've been told it several times on another forum when I've said how old they are, also a couple of bunny friends have advised it.
Yes they did say about them becoming hormonal so I understand the reasons behind it, but I wondered if it was better to play it by ear rather than just separate them as they have reached that age.

I'm afraid there is a case for not asking too many people for advice - just gets very confusing. As I said, nothing is set in stone and you have to make the decision based on their behaviour - just keep a very close eye on them.

I'm afraid there is a case for not asking too many people for advice - just gets very confusing. As I said, nothing is set in stone and you have to make the decision based on their behaviour - just keep a very close eye on them.

I agree, but I didn't ask about separating them, I said I'd got 2 baby sister's and suddenly everyone was giving me advice about spaying and separation. We already planned to have them spayed. Having lots of well meaning people give advice is as bad as asking too many.

I won't be separating them unless I feel it is necessary. Thank you.

My sisters had to be seperated at around 5 months, because the hormones had kicked in and the dominant one of the girls was definately starting to assert her dominance!
They were both spayed a week later and were rebonded 3 months after that!

I agree, but I didn't ask about separating them, I said I'd got 2 baby sister's and suddenly everyone was giving me advice about spaying and separation. We already planned to have them spayed. Having lots of well meaning people give advice is as bad as asking too many.

I won't be separating them unless I feel it is necessary. Thank you.

I agree with you 100%.

I *never* separate bunnies unless it is absolutely necessary :thumb:

They will be booked is as close to 5 months as I can get, preferably as close to becoming 5 months as the vets will allow, earlier would suit me.

I took on two bunnies, who were very likely sisters, at about 18 months of age. They had been together unspayed up to that time without anything other than slight squabbling. I then had them spayed. So, no, I don't agree that you need to separate unless necessary - that sounds a bit mad to me.

That does tend to happen unfortunately, and on here sometimes too. Like you say, people mean well but it can be information overload sometimes.

I agree with your own plans. I would keep them together if possible, have them spayed together etc and just be aware that they might get hormonal and be prepared to split them at that point if necessary. I wouldn't advise routinely splitting them at 16 weeks just 'in case' they fall out. Any pair of bunnies could fall out at any age, for any reason - if we all followed that advice, we'd only have singles..... :lol:

That does tend to happen unfortunately, and on here sometimes too. Like you say, people mean well but it can be information overload sometimes.

I agree with your own plans. I would keep them together if possible, have them spayed together etc and just be aware that they might get hormonal and be prepared to split them at that point if necessary. I wouldn't advise routinely splitting them at 16 weeks just 'in case' they fall out. Any pair of bunnies could fall out at any age, for any reason - if we all followed that advice, we'd only have singles..... :lol:

I think that's me. ;) : whatever the question I always bang on about the importance of hay ... :lol:

I have two sisters who were born in rescue. They have never been apart and are just fine (now bonded with two bucks).

All I can say is that my 3 sisters buns and their mum all stayed together, all spayed together and no problems. Maybe it depends on the characters of the buns and the dreaded hormones!

All I can say is that my 3 sisters buns and their mum all stayed together, all spayed together and no problems. Maybe it depends on the characters of the buns and the dreaded hormones!

They were obviously good hay eaters. :lol:

Back