• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Cookie is depressed :(

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
I think my lovely Cookie bun is depressed, but I don't know what to do.

Ricky Bun, her bunny bf, passed away suddenly a few weeks ago. They were very closely bonded, and spent all of their time together. I expected she would be sad, and we've kept a very close eye on her lest she loses appetite etc.

She is five, spayed and is free-ranging. She shares a bedroom with Poppet - they can see and smell each other. They like to lie next to each other (grid in the middle) but as they are both dominant females (who like to give each other occasional nips if opportunity arises) I don't expect they'll ever be bonded.

We have also have two baby buns living in separate pens (awaiting neuter and spay), and Cookie likes to sit next to their pens. I feel hopeful we may be able to bond into a trio when the time is right, but until then...

She moves around and comes looking for company, but she looks so sad. She's eating, but not as much as she normally would (slow decrease in appetite over last couple of days), she's drinking and toileting, but again... I feel her poos are fewer than usual. We're offering all her favourite veg, and she's getting extra helpings of fruit - but I am so worried. She's less interested in pellets, but will eventually eat them.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
the only thing i can think of, besides bonding her to another bun or buns sooner, is to try clicker training. when we lost elm's original partner twix he was very down and the interaction of clicker training really seemed to help him - i guess the mental stimulation and extra contact with me? maybe worth a try :) i hope she perks up soon x

Back