Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Eating the carpet!

  1. #1
    Alpha Buck lenslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    950

    Default Eating the carpet!

    I have 3 Rabbits, our 3rd one came home yesterday and we love him dearly. I noticed earlier on today that he quite enjoys digging the carpet (its a long pile rug not a full carpet). I didn't think anything of it. Anyway i have just caught him pulling up the strands of the carpet I immediately went over and i managed to prize quite a long piece of carpet out of his mouth My heart went into my mouth. I have since removed the rug , I love that rug because I can't risk him eating it! why is he doing this do you think? I can understand digging but not actually consuming it!

    It was really frightening because given half the chance he would have eaten it! and he would have been very ill.
    Hopefully removing the carpet for a few weeks will break this horrible habit.
    x

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,065

    Default

    Some Rabbits are just chewers and nibblers. They will eat carpet, cardboard, skirting boards, cable wires, mattresses.......... the list is endless !

    Sometimes a Baby Rabbit will grow out of the behaviour but some never do.



    Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

    The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

  3. #3
    Alpha Buck lenslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Some Rabbits are just chewers and nibblers. They will eat carpet, cardboard, skirting boards, cable wires, mattresses.......... the list is endless !

    Sometimes a Baby Rabbit will grow out of the behaviour but some never do.
    Obviously I have been on guard with him, due to his low weight, possible deafness and his sneezing. I had to go to mothers today and i worried the whole 2 hours i was there. I am so scared something is wrong with him or will happen to him . Maybe the rug was causing the sneezing. I am not sure if he has eaten any of it but i definitely caught him with a long piece in his mouth. Trouble is my other two rabbits love to binky on the rug but i don't really have a choice in regard to removing it, if he is going to eat it. I have a thick fleecy blanket that i use in the winter on my bed, its a big king size fleece. I might put that there instead. xx

  4. #4
    Warren Veteran Hele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    7,107

    Default

    My first house rabbit ate the corners of every carpet he had access to. He ate wires, wall paper, lino and even the plaster off of the walls once

    Bo might grow out of it but he might not. My buns now are not destructive... or maybe I'm just much better at bunny proofing now I actually think trying to stay one step ahead of a destructo bun is part of thier charm. It keeps you on your toes!

    Also whilst obviously eating non food items can cause issues and should always be prevented it is often amazing what they can eat and still be fine!

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lenslady View Post
    Obviously I have been on guard with him, due to his low weight, possible deafness and his sneezing. I had to go to mothers today and i worried the whole 2 hours i was there. I am so scared something is wrong with him or will happen to him . Maybe the rug was causing the sneezing. I am not sure if he has eaten any of it but i definitely caught him with a long piece in his mouth. Trouble is my other two rabbits love to binky on the rug but i don't really have a choice in regard to removing it, if he is going to eat it. I have a thick fleecy blanket that i use in the winter on my bed, its a big king size fleece. I might put that there instead. xx
    Sometimes there's not a lot you can do about a bunny who intends to eat your home and furnishings. When I am rehoming rabbits I make sure people are aware how destructive rabbits can be

    I find the rugs from Ikea - very flat 'mat' type things are much less munchable ... It may be he will get bored of your rug, but it's a risk.

    I find it helpful to understand how they would live in the wild - digging, pulling up plants, ripping the bark off trees .. etc. Then it's easier to understand why they treat their surroundings, i.e. your home, as they do!

  6. #6
    Alpha Buck lenslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Thank you. Well the rug has gone now but he has resorted to chewing the tassel, tie bits that are on his tunnels Mind you it appears he has nibbled them and maybe sucked them as they were just wet and he can't actually eat them unless he chews them off.
    MightMax you did warn me he might be a naughty one Seems you may be right! xxx

  7. #7
    Alpha Buck lenslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    950

    Default

    I caught him a treat here !


  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Village in North Hampshire
    Posts
    26,286

    Default

    Erm - would you like to see pics of my carpet.
    My living room and dining room don't have carpet in any of the corners. I didn't realise until too late what chewers they can be (wish I'd known about this forum & the info) ... and how sneaky they can be behind the furniture.

    And as for cables, I think I'm lucky the house is still standing.

    My rabbits are all outside now.

  9. #9
    Forum Buddy Liz47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    9,135

    Default

    I hope he grows out of it so you can worry less, and have a nice non chewed home! Jake is a nightmare for wires, plastic and paper, we've had to block off the letter box from him as he destroyed the post! He's also nibbles holes in a couple of my cushions so now everything is well out of reach but he hasn't bothered with the carpet or wallpaper whereas beano and Gordon have been known to chew the wallpaper and the carpet in the night so I try to give them something new to do on a night to keep them busy, we have less problems with them since the addition if a treat ball uses at night and new toys, can be as simple as cardboard stuffed with hay etc.

    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  10. #10
    Alpha Buck lenslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    Erm - would you like to see pics of my carpet.
    My living room and dining room don't have carpet in any of the corners. I didn't realise until too late what chewers they can be (wish I'd known about this forum & the info) ... and how sneaky they can be behind the furniture.

    And as for cables, I think I'm lucky the house is still standing.

    My rabbits are all outside now.
    Oh really We don't have much carpet downstairs apart from my very favourite rug and its now been pulled up and put a way My room looks so bare now. My other two love the rug too, they love to have a good old binky on it. I wasn't worried to much about chewing, digging or damage, i am more concerned about him consuming it , I can always replace my rug but i'l never replace Bo.

    xxx

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •