• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chasing

Hi Guys, I have two male rabbits that we have had for several months now that are about 8 months old. They get along fine most of the time, cudderling, cleaning each other, playing, binking etc but occasionally one chases the other one for no reason.

I try to stop them when it happens as I know it's not good and scares them.

Anyone got any advice on how to stop this behaviour?

Are they neutered? 8 months seems a bit late for hormones to be kicking in but not massively so!

How much space do they have?

Hi, yep both are neutered we did it 2 months ago and from their to her behaviour they seemed to have settled. Its not like it happens often maybe twice a week? They also have stopped leaving little territorial droppings everywhere and stopped mounting etc.

Personally i'd not worry too much - just keep an eye on things. Some bunnies like to chase a little in play & you don't mention nipping or biting.

Do they have access to plenty of space?
Yeah they have a double story cage, 4ft run and then when we are in we let them out to play in the living room where we keep them and the kitchen next to it. Its the open spaces where they usually chase and not the cage and run.

Yeah they have a double story cage, 4ft run and then when we are in we let them out to play in the living room where we keep them and the kitchen next to it. Its the open spaces where they usually chase and not the cage and run.

Would it be possible to extend their run to the 8ft x 4ft recommended by the RWA - it could be that they get frustrated in the confined space and so 'let rip' when they are allowed out.

Okay it just it seems like the other one doesn't like being chased so I wanted to check if it's possible to stop this that all.

I'm sure he doesn't like being chased; must be miserable for him Not sure what to suggest, really, unless you perhaps try re-bonding?

Currently they are sat in their run both on their side next to each other so that's why I am a but confused. If they didn't like each other and need to be rebounded then why are they so happy and comfy with each other?it seems they have contradicting behaviour.

Currently they are sat in their run both on their side next to each other so that's why I am a but confused. If they didn't like each other and need to be rebounded then why are they so happy and comfy with each other?it seems they have contradicting behaviour.

Often it's one trying to dominate the other, and you may always have this with two rabbits, particularly two males.

If there is no fur pulling, biting and serious fighting, you may have to weather it, unless one of them looks unhappy on a regular basis. It sounds like they are friends really!

Welcome to the Forum by the way :wave: I hope you find it useful!

Thanks for this, will keep an eye on it and keep distracting them when it happens

Thanks guys for your help, they are my first buns, first pets so want to make sure they are happy =)

You get this same behaviour if you have 2 sisters together. One is the dominant one and occasionally likes to make sure the other one knows it.

What a fab. looking cage. I have a quad (two bucks bonded with two does) each pair has a dominant rabbit and one of the bucks is 'top rabbit' he always chases the others at feeding time, especially his brother.

Both my other pairs are male and female couples (one unrelated and one mother and son). Both bucks chase the does at food time ...

Unless their is a lot of fur pulling and actual fighting it shouldn't be a problem.

ps We need to see pics of your rabbits now!

I suspect this may be the problem. Sometimes when rabbits are let into a new or different area other than their usual territory, this can cause a surge in dominance behaviors.

Aaa okay thanks guys, will just keep them distracted when I let them out so they don't chase each other =)

As for photo of the buns

http://s30.postimg.org/vuk4u52e9/20150419_220533.jpg

One is called oddsocks and the other is bowie. And we have just managed to teach them their names so we can call them over to us =) they don't know their individual name but they know to come over to us usually at full throttle!

Awwww Oddsocks and Bowie are real beauties.

I agree about the dominance thing when they are let out. Hopefully they will get used to the extra space in time and not chase around so much.

Back