• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to give a bonding pair more space

FredW

Alpha Buck
Bunbuns and her new husbun (still not named yet) have been bonding since 29th of last month. They started off at the rescue centre for a week, came home on Friday evening and are doing extremely well. No fighting, sometimes the occasional standoff, but then one of them backs off, and there has been a bit of chasing and humping, and when I say a bit, I mean minimal amounts. they are spending a lot of time together in the same part of the run. I have two of those temporary canvas playpens http://www.amazon.co.uk/RayGar-FABRIC-FOLDABLE-PLAYPEN-RABBIT/dp/B00BEHBVJM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top linked together, while I am waiting for their permanent new pen, currently still build by Boyles. So normally they are in the same run together, either snuggled up, grooming, or causing mischief. but the last couple of days I noticed that they are spending also a lot of time now in the separate parts. I was planning on letting them have a run in this room, but now I wonder if they are having too much space already? they are still happy together when they are together and when I cuddle one, the other usually comes wanting cuddles also, but they are not as inseparable as they were the first few days.
so basically my question is, have they got too much space right now, or is it normal that they do spend some hours of the day sleeping in separate places, in fact it's often when they both sleep during the day that they go their separate ways. and if it is all normal, when is it normally fine to let them have a bigger run around? since I don't want to break their bond, as they do seem to love each other, she doesn't even mind if he pulls half of her food out of her mouth to eat. he prefers to eat only the veggies she eats, no idea why, he sits there doesn't eat it, then she eats it, and he pulls it out of her mouth, and she lets him and just grabs herself a new piece.

From what you say, it sounds like they would be ok now if you want to extend their space :thumb:

Oh cool, awesome. I hoped that would be the case. just gave them their afternoon food, and they had their heads all close together eating, snuggled a bit afterwards, now she went to sleep, he went in the other part to play, so yeah they seem fine. :)

Back