• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a Third to my pair

SusyStar

New Kit
Hi,
I have two sweet bunnies, Boo Boo and Anna Banana, who a rescue woman bonded for me. Now I have rescued from a horrible place a little bunny, Buzz. I think I got it off to a bad start. The two buns are totally free roam, so there is really no neutral place. So I kept Buzz in a small cage in the office and let the two come in to get used to him. Then I would let Buzz out in the office the rest of the time. I then put Anna and Buzz in the bathtub with hay and Anna nipped Buzz. Needless to say, Buzz was not happy. Baby Buzz doesn't even weigh a pound, but the attitude is 100 pounds :lol: I kept them in there for about 20 minutes. Then the next night I put all three in. Anna and Boo Boo kind of were getting used to him, but Buzz was thumping away. Then I tried Anna and Buzz in a basket on the dryer for three times. I posted on Facebook and got advice so tried to implement that. Now they are in the laundry room, but only to sleep. Buzz is in his cage and the other two we moved their enclosure and made it smaller to there. Buzz has free roam in the office until bed time and the other two have the rest of the house. I'm not sure how to go forward.
Help!

Are they all neutered ?

I am assuming their genders are:

Boo Boo -Buck
Anna Banana- Doe
Buzz- Buck

???

If any of them are not neutered then I would not even attempt to bond them into a trio. I do not agree with using some of the 'harsh' bonding methods such as putting Rabbits in bath tubs or in baskets on washing machines. IMO it is inappropriate, but I know other people think it is fine.

If all three are neutered could you ask the Rescue the original pair came from to help you attempt to bond Buzz in with them. You could make a donation to the Rescue for their services. That way the bonding could be done on neutral territory and whilst the Rabbits were away you could get on with neutralising a living area for them when they return home.

The risk you take when trying to introduce a third Rabbit into an established pair is that the third Rabbit can cause the original pair's bond to break down beyond repair. So you end up with three single Rabbits. This is always something to bear in mind and to make sure you could accommodate three single Rabbits.

Good Luck x

Hi,
I have two sweet bunnies, Boo Boo and Anna Banana, who a rescue woman bonded for me. Now I have rescued from a horrible place a little bunny, Buzz. I think I got it off to a bad start. The two buns are totally free roam, so there is really no neutral place. So I kept Buzz in a small cage in the office and let the two come in to get used to him. Then I would let Buzz out in the office the rest of the time. I then put Anna and Buzz in the bathtub with hay and Anna nipped Buzz. Needless to say, Buzz was not happy. Baby Buzz doesn't even weigh a pound, but the attitude is 100 pounds :lol: I kept them in there for about 20 minutes. Then the next night I put all three in. Anna and Boo Boo kind of were getting used to him, but Buzz was thumping away. Then I tried Anna and Buzz in a basket on the dryer for three times. I posted on Facebook and got advice so tried to implement that. Now they are in the laundry room, but only to sleep. Buzz is in his cage and the other two we moved their enclosure and made it smaller to there. Buzz has free roam in the office until bed time and the other two have the rest of the house. I'm not sure how to go forward.
Help!

Are all your rabbits neutered/spayed? If not, I would wait until they are (and then a bit longer) until you try to bond a third rabbit with your pair.

Can you perhaps ask the lady at the Rescue who bonded your original buns for advice? She seems capable and may even be able to help bond a threesome. Some people find bonding three more difficult than two, although several people here have done it successfully!

Good luck and welcome to RU :wave:

I will follow this with interest as we are hoping to bond Bee (Buck) to Bella and Rosie (does), all neutered, soon. We are going to professional bonders as trios can be a lot less straightforward than pairs. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Back