• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch and small scabs on back

B&B Buns

Alpha Buck
Evening all,

I just got back from holiday and picked my buns up from the boarding place. When I picked them up after our holiday in March, Bunny (female) had a small bald patch on her back from where Buster (male) had been incessantly humping her. She wasn't too bothered by it and the fur grew back and they were fine when they came home. This time though, the bald patch is much bigger (about size of two 50p pieces next to each other) and there are little scabs on it. She seems to be trying to wash it quite a lot as well so it is obviously troubling her.

Luckily I am taking Buster to vets for jabs tomorrow so Bunny will come along for the ride so I will get her checked over, but I just wondered if there was anything I could put on it to soothe it for her in the short term?

Also, this extent of fur pulling only seems to happen at the boarders (I do not hold her responsible in any way!) so I wonder if it is as a result of either being around other buns, or being shut in a small space (6fy by 2ft hutch) at night, which they aren't at home.

Post escalated as usual! :oops: Sorry.

Last edited:
Hi, I should think the fur pulling is down to the stress of a change in their routine. When we went on holiday and a friend came in every day to feed my pets, my free range, at that time, bunny, Opera, would totally forget her litter training and would poop and wee under the kitchen table. My poor friend was beside herself because she knew Opera was usually the perfect doe. It was as if she did it on purpose. She would leave her caecotrophs everywhere. I wonder if she was being overfed at the time too. Anyway, I'm sure the vet will sort Bunny's problem for you.

I agree, the different environment is likely to have caused some stress and a need to reassert the hierarchy within the dynamics of the bond. The fur pulling may have triggered a bit of dermatitis.

Was she vaccinated relatively recently, ie just before going into Boarding ? If so, sometimes a local reaction to the vaccination can occur. As it can after any type of injection, especially Baytril.

Good luck at the Vets.

Thanks for your replies. I thought it was probably stress because although he usually tries it on at home she's got so much space she can escape easily and he's never persistent.

She was vaccinated back in November so not recently, but she did have a funny reaction after her first jab where she got a couple of small scabs, about the size of a raisin, on her ear. The sore area had gone quite red last night probably from where she kept licking it so I hope it's calmed down this morning.

Thank you so much again for you help.

Off to check on them now...

Evening all,

I just got back from holiday and picked my buns up from the boarding place. When I picked them up after our holiday in March, Bunny (female) had a small bald patch on her back from where Buster (male) had been incessantly humping her. She wasn't too bothered by it and the fur grew back and they were fine when they came home. This time though, the bald patch is much bigger (about size of two 50p pieces next to each other) and there are little scabs on it. She seems to be trying to wash it quite a lot as well so it is obviously troubling her.

Luckily I am taking Buster to vets for jabs tomorrow so Bunny will come along for the ride so I will get her checked over, but I just wondered if there was anything I could put on it to soothe it for her in the short term?

Also, this extent of fur pulling only seems to happen at the boarders (I do not hold her responsible in any way!) so I wonder if it is as a result of either being around other buns, or being shut in a small space (6fy by 2ft hutch) at night, which they aren't at home.

Post escalated as usual! :oops: Sorry.

To be honest I think my buns would behave in the same way (i.e. a little stir crazy) if they were confined when they aren't used to being. They have to find something to do with themselves ....

I would put some aloe vera gel on it if you have some (I have a veterinary aloe spray recommended by my vet), or a little calendula cream which is very fast healing.

Hope you get on OK at the vets!

Ok, so the vet said he thinks it might be mange, and gave her a shot. The fur around it looked much drier this morning than it had yesterday, so I think maybe she hadn't been licking it so much. Hopefully that will sort her out.

I now have 2 very sorry for themselves bunnies as both had jabs. One's hiding under the bed, and the other is in the house!

Now I am left with the dilemma of boarding them somewhere with someone who knows rabbits but causes upset to them, or leaving them at home with twice daily visits from rabbit owning friends...

Back