• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch plans (pictures welcome)

Hollieldee

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I am getting a new bunny next week, following the death of my darling rabbit Rufus a few months ago. I am sooo excited to get Herbie 😊
Just wanted some ideas as to setting up my hutch. I've bought a new one (bluebell from Pets at home) and just wanted to know how you have designed the inside? What do you have in each section etc?
Pictures would be welcome, thank you!

Will you have a run attached to the hutch? I think that hutch is only 5ft which is too small really. It should be at least 6. Congratulations on your new bunny!

Last edited:
Will you have a run attached to the hutch? I think that hutch is only 5ft which is too small really. It should be at least 6. Congratulations on your new bunny!

He is a dwarf bunny so he wont take up a lot of space haha but of course, he will get plenty of exercise.

If you take a look at the RWAF website you will see that it gives very good advice on housing. The minimum size is a 6 x 2 x 2ft hutch with a permanently attached run of at least 8 x 4ft - they should never be confined to the hutch.

If you take a look at the RWAF website you will see that it gives very good advice on housing. The minimum size is a 6 x 2 x 2ft hutch with a permanently attached run of at least 8 x 4ft - they should never be confined to the hutch.

Thanks everyone, no need to be concerned though 😊 he will not be confined to his hutch. My previous rabbit had free run of the whole garden from 7am to 6pm as there was always someone at home pottering in the garden. Herbie will have a run attached to his hutch as well as another separate run.

Mine have sheds with runs attached. Inside their sheds they have underbed storage boxes as litter trays (at least one per rabbit).

The quad have a little hutch in their shed which they sit on, in and under. The belgain hares have a large hutch in their run and access to a shed via a welfare hutch connection kit.

Two of the sheds have wooden shelf units in (free standing) which I keep newspaper, dustpan and brush, straw and hay on. The rabbits sit on the bottom level. This kind of thing;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4272267.htm

Do bear in mind that "dwarf" breed rabbits often have more energy than larger breeds so still need a huge amount of space at all times, the same space you'd offer a giant!

Make sure he has a secure run permanently attached to his hutch to allow binky time at all hours of the day and night. Will he be bonded with another bun? A single outdoors tends to be a bit of a lonely existence! They do like to have another bun to snuggle with on long cold nights.

Can anyone recommend an 8 foot run?

I cannot find one!

Also my current run is 6.5 foot long, if I bought another one it would make 42 square foot space. That plus the bluebell hutch and a 12 foot run around tube thing would be their permanent home.

Is it good enough?

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend an 8 foot run?

I cannot find one!

Also my current run is 6.5 foot long, if I bought another one it would make 42 square foot space. That plus the bluebell hutch and a 12 foot run around tube thing would be their permanent home.

Is it good enough?

Would an aviary be an option for a permanent fixed run. You can use panels to create the size you want and the hutch can sit inside making it more fox proof?

Back