• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits had a fight and split bottom eyelid!

liamt

New Kit
I have two rabbits, Soots, a spayed female who I've had for 3 years, and a new younger neutered male called Apollo who I've had for approx 3 weeks. I've been bonding these two every day, and there are a few signs of aggressive behaviour still so I they still remain separate when I'm not there to watch. Today they both had a fight in the garden, and I quickly intervened to separate them. I noticed afterwards that Apollo has split his bottom eyelid! He's currently in his cage resting, but he seems normal, walking around and nibbling the cage, and not to be in pain. It is not bleeding just a little red underneath the eye.

Do I need to get him to a vet quickly, or will this heal with a little time?
Also should I keep them separate until the wound heals?

Hi:wave: Personally I'd keep them apart for a while & get Apollo checked over by the vet - better safe than sorry. Good luck. I hope they become friends in time & Apollo's eye injury isn't too serious

Hi:wave: Personally I'd keep them apart for a while & get Apollo checked over by the vet - better safe than sorry. Good luck. I hope they become friends in time & Apollo's eye injury isn't too serious

I agree. A Vet check is needed to make sure that there is no damage to the actual eye- a corneal abrasion. As long as he is eating/drinking/pooing and weeing as normal and his eye is not closed and/or becoming very swollen it should be OK to wait til the morning to see the Vet. You could always give the Out of Hours Service a call for advice this evening.

Thank you. He seems to be acting fine, his eye isn't closed or swollen and he's eating and drinking okay. Will call to the vets tomorrow to get it checked.
This is his eye.
adge1u.jpg

Poor boy :cry: the Vet may need to clean that up for him and possibly remove the torn piece of his eyelid. I expect he will need a course of antibiotic eye ointment too. I hope that he does not have any damage to his actual eye.

I have two rabbits, Soots, a spayed female who I've had for 3 years, and a new younger neutered male called Apollo who I've had for approx 3 weeks. I've been bonding these two every day, and there are a few signs of aggressive behaviour still so I they still remain separate when I'm not there to watch. Today they both had a fight in the garden, and I quickly intervened to separate them. I noticed afterwards that Apollo has split his bottom eyelid! He's currently in his cage resting, but he seems normal, walking around and nibbling the cage, and not to be in pain. It is not bleeding just a little red underneath the eye.

Do I need to get him to a vet quickly, or will this heal with a little time?
Also should I keep them separate until the wound heals?

I was wondering whether you could bathe it with cooled boiled water and a little salt added, but having seen the photo, it may be a good idea to see the vet. I can't see any damage to the eyeball, but by tomorrow you should have a clearer picture of how it is.

As Joey&Boo says, keep them apart (sadly) until it's healed.

Good luck xx

I would definitely take him to the vet. One of our buns came to us with a healed eye injury causing distortion to his upper eyelid. It has flared up with infection a few times. I think that can happen with rabbits if an infection gets hold it can linger on and flare up later.

By the way, what a handsome boy Apollo is. Good luck.

A past rabbit of mine had this due to a fight. She healed over nicely after a few days of gunky scabbing. A small percenage of eye was permanently exposed, but nothing that effected her comfort levels to my knowledge. Get it checked out to ensure her lense isn't scratched but otherwise I would let be and rinse with saline if required :)

Back