• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

still in at the vets

Rita

Warren Scout
well just to let you all know that Biscuit is still in. i rang this morning and they said that he is still not eating so i can't bring him home just yet.
do you think he would do better at home as i could encourage him to eat with lots of his favourite herbs. also he could see his buddy who he adores, i would thought that would make him better. i have to ring later this afternoon. i am just worried that no one will be encouraging him to eat. :cry:

well just to let you all know that Biscuit is still in. i rang this morning and they said that he is still not eating so i can't bring him home just yet.
do you think he would do better at home as i could encourage him to eat with lots of his favourite herbs. also he could see his buddy who he adores, i would thought that would make him better. i have to ring later this afternoon. i am just worried that no one will be encouraging him to eat. :cry:

I am sure that Biscuit will be well cared for, he is with a very Rabbit savvy Vet. Perhaps you could take some herbs in for him. Also, if it was a Vet Nurse you just spoke with maybe you could ask to speak with Jason to see if he feels that being in a home environment might be more beneficial to Biscuit.

Oh no :cry: I take it they are rabbit savvy vets? I would hope they are syringe feeding and trying to tempt him with food. I would chat to the vet and see what they suggest. Sending lots of vibes xx

hello and thank you for the advice. i just rang them, i think they might be getting fed up with me. anyway i spoke to the vet nurse and not the receptionist this time and she said that he is starting to eat but no poo, she said he has been given two lots of gut stimulate and they are now waiting. if he goes then i can collect him at 4.00 but she will ring if he needs to stay in for another day. poor little Biscuit. does that mean he has a blockage, is this normal for bunnies not pooing after the op. Toffee when he was done was kept in overnight as it was a late surgery, he was fine with no problems. Biscuit is more timid that Toffee, Toffee is the boss in their relationship. can you send lots of loving thoughts for a big poo. come on Biscuit you can do it. :love:

hello and thank you for the advice. i just rang them, i think they might be getting fed up with me. anyway i spoke to the vet nurse and not the receptionist this time and she said that he is starting to eat but no poo, she said he has been given two lots of gut stimulate and they are now waiting. if he goes then i can collect him at 4.00 but she will ring if he needs to stay in for another day. poor little Biscuit. does that mean he has a blockage, is this normal for bunnies not pooing after the op. Toffee when he was done was kept in overnight as it was a late surgery, he was fine with no problems. Biscuit is more timid that Toffee, Toffee is the boss in their relationship. can you send lots of loving thoughts for a big poo. come on Biscuit you can do it. :love:

No, it does not mean he has a blockage. It is probably the fact that his gastrointestinal tract is being slow to regain good motility. He has had 3 things to contribute to a reduced gut motility 1- a GA, 2- Not eating, 3- Stress. So he probably just needs that bit more extra supportive Nursing care until things start moving again. As he has now nibbled at some food himself that is a very good sign. Poos will probably follow in the next few hours.

Sending more vibes for him xx

Eat little man, eat! Is it worth taking his friend in if he has to stay tonight? Obviously vet will have to agree but my vet always supported this. It may be comforting to have a familiar furry face with him. Thinking of you all

I'm so sorry he's still there :cry: It looked so promising for him to be coming home yesterday ...

As I mentioned, my vet is more than happy for my rabbits to come home for me to chivvy them up with the eating, but I guess all vets are different ... If they want to keep him in I suppose there's nothing you can do about it.

If it were my bunny, I would want to speak with a vet about it and find out what's going on, if you haven't done that already.

I do hope he comes home soon xx

Aww I hope he can come home in a few hours as they mentioned. But I wouldn't worry too much, they are aware of what to look out for and are caring for him, I know that you are worried but have some faith in the practice :D. I'm sure that he will be fine, especially as he's now started munching away, just waiting for the rest of the organs to kick in and let him waste out the poop.

Sending eating and pooing vibes for Biscuit. He probably would be more relaxed at home but you have to do as the Vet says (I suppose).

Sending more vibes for him, I cross posted with Jane earlier when I was asking about the vet being rabbit savvy, I am sure he is having the best of care :thumb:

In your post you mentioned that your bunny started to eat on his own. As long as he is improving at the vet, I would let them continue to care for him and monitor him.
Sending vibes to you and Biscuit (some for his friend too).

he's home bless him. thank you everyone for all your kind words and support.
he is quite swollen below poor thing. they have given me Metacam and Ranitidine to give him for the next 5 days. Metacam once a day and Ranitidine which i have to give him every 8 - 12 hours.
i put him in his cattery with his friend (puppy cage still separating them) and he went straight up to his herbs and dandelions and eat the lot, bless him.
now we need him to poo and wee. so some more vibes for little Biscuit please.

sending the vibes - so glad to hear he's home now, bet that makes you feel a lot better (and him) too :):):)

Sending poo vibes for Biscuit :) Also fingers crossed the swelling goes down over the next few days :)

he's home bless him. thank you everyone for all your kind words and support.
he is quite swollen below poor thing. they have given me Metacam and Ranitidine to give him for the next 5 days. Metacam once a day and Ranitidine which i have to give him every 8 - 12 hours.
i put him in his cattery with his friend (puppy cage still separating them) and he went straight up to his herbs and dandelions and eat the lot, bless him.
now we need him to poo and wee. so some more vibes for little Biscuit please.

So pleased to hear that he is home. I hope that he will be feeling a lot better by tomorrow xx

Back