• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Third eyelid?

daisymaisy

Young Bun
Daisy & Maisy have just come in for the night, and I noticed this in Maisy's eye. I think it's an inner eyelid, but thought I'd check with you knowledgeable people! Had her first vaccinations Friday, so I've been on high alert for any changes.

I have never heard of a 3rd eyelid that is very interesting to know. Maybe they are still going through the settling in period daisymaisy so I wouldn't worry to much, just give them some time. My Burberry is still settling in and I know at times he has got a bit stressed but with gentle, loving care they soon come round. She looks like she is enjoying chomping on her veg xxxx

All a bit odd - I only noticed it as Maisy made an odd sound (a bit like a sneeze?) which had me running over to check her nose. At first I thought it was gunk, but realised it was more like an inner eye thingy. Now I'm wondering if it appeared because she sneezed? Thankfully, no further odd noises or eyes tonight (touch wood) x

I found an old thread that's put my mind at rest too: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?143345-Third-Eyelid-appeared

Poppy's used to be visible quite often, especially with handling. It is a sign of stress and sometimes an inflamed conjunctiva, but Maisy's doesn't look particularly red to me.

Gosh glad I didn't read that before! Fortunately for us it was just a mild allergic inflammation of the conjunctiva. Perhaps if it continues to be present you might want to get it looked at. I would assume the most common cause for now if it were me, stress.

Back