• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not well after cherries

Nicole Mok

Young Bun
My rabbit just had half of a cherry (only cherry), but then she suddenly becomes very quiet and lays down all the time.... I tried to feed her hay, nugget and her super favorite kale, she doesn't want to eat them at all... Is she not well? Is it the cherry that makes her sick?

It's actually the first time she has cherry, so I only gave her very small pieces... Her lay down position is a bit strange, kind of sqeezing her tummy.... It's been nearly an hour, still very quiet... Any idea what should I do?

It sounds like she could have gas and tummy pain from the cherry. My bun gets this alot and you need to act fast. Ideally you need some pain relief, like Metacam, which you can only get from a vet, and Infacol for the gas, which you can buy from any supermarket. Please dont leave her overnight like this, as she could go into gut stasis, which can be fatal for rabbits.

Yes, not sure whether it is the cherry which has upset your rabbit, but certainly she is ill and needs to be seen by a vet as a matter of urgency. If you ring your own vet, there should be a message giving the number of the emergency vet.

Sorry to hear she is unwell & hope she makes a swift recovery with treatment. Please let us know how she gets on. Did she eat the stone too?

Cherries are classed as a safe food and I can't see why half of one cherry would cause such a fast reaction. My guess is that your bunny was already coming down with something and introducing the new food on top of already being unwell has unfortunately made her poorly. It's not your fault but you need to see an emergency vet tonight as gut stasis is extremely painful for a rabbit - imagine the worst stomach ache you've ever had - and can kill. It's like colic in horses, which very often is fatal. You cannot leave your rabbit in such pain overnight as that would be extraordinarily cruel and traumatic for her. If you ring your vet's normal number there should be an answer phone message giving you the emergency number, or it'll be automatically transferred. Good luck!

she sounds like she has painful gas from it. as others have said, you need to take her to the vet now. don't leave it as she will need help with the gas if it's that, and the pain may make her go into stasis which can be serious as you probably know. if you need recommendations for a vet, let us know whereabouts you are :wave:

Hi all, thank you so much for the prompt reponses! I believe she has recovered herself, she's back to normal, eating hay, kale and nugget, also drinking water. She runs up and down and grooms herself and my other male rabbit as well. No more strange position. I will still keep an eye on her overnight just to make sure she is completely fine.

During the past hours, I have been massaging her tummy, encouraging her to move around and to eat hay, drink water, then slowly she started walking around and trying to search for food in the cage. Eventually she runs upstairs to her playroom. She also has her energy back to push me away... :) so hopefully this means she is ok!!

You must be relieved. I'm so pleased she is feeling better. Sounds a good plan to monitor her. Thanks for coming back with the update

Pleased to read your bun is back to her old self again. Perhaps go easy on the cherries from now on! TBH I dont feed any fruit to my bun, as they dont need it and it's packed with natural sugar, which they certainly dont need.

I'm glad your bunny is well again. :)

Going off on a tangent, I thought a cherry was a stone fruit, which meant it wasn't safe for bunnies to eat?

Good point from Sky-O. The stone could cause a blockage and be potentially fatal, glad bunny is feeling better.

glad she is feeling better now. sounds like tummy ache and possible gas which she luckily managed to shift herself. no more cherries for her then! pleased she is ok though :)

Thanks everyone, she's still fine. Still need to monitor her pee and poo... I am really scared of giving her more cherries. She is used to be the strongest one and hasn't has any allergic to other foods, so this is the very first time she has problem.. just saw her running around happily, I am sure she is good now☺. What a relief..

My rabbit Rupert gets this ALOT from different foods, we now only stick to things we know are 100% ok for him...
Glad your bun got better quickly - we always have to go to the vet!

Hi Rupert & Tia, this must be stressful for you to see them feeling sick. You are right, just stick with the foods that they're absolutely OK with.

Back