Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are your bunnies microchipped?

Default Are your bunnies microchipped?

Am taking our new girl, Mouse, to the vets this evening (for her vaccinations & health check). Both my other bunnies were already microchipped when I adopted them & I'm considering asking the vets to do Mouse. However I'm not sure the timing is right. Does anyone know about the actual process, whether it is painful etc? Any idea of cost would be useful too.

Are your bunnies micro-chipped?

I asked the vet and our rescue place about this before, and both say it's kinda pointless unless your bunnies could escape, or be stolen. it doesn't hurt them from what I was told, but while our vet would do it, she herself said she thinks it's pointless, and she got rabbits herself. so I didn't bother. will mouse be indoors or outdoors? indoors there is even less need for it.

Warren Veteran

Nope - don't see the point, if I'm honest! Alf (my bunny) lives inside so the likelihood of him escaping or being stolen is very, very slim.
    Slave to Alfie, the bunny version of Harry Potter, who lives under my stairs.

Yup, just in case they escaped, were let out, or stolen
    Bunny mum to rescue rabbits Cinna, Katniss, Prim, Haymitch, Rose, Shadow, Claudia, Ollie, Blue, Willow, Belle and Ruben
    Binky free at the bridge Kylie boops, Desbun & Nemo. Miss you so much
    Manager at Rabbit Residence Rescue

They are mainly indoor but will have some free range garden time when they are "ready" (currently bonding them). Boo was found as a stray so I'm erring towards getting it done it's just a matter of when

Thanks every one

Quote Originally Posted by tabithakat64 View Post
    Have your bunnies coped fine with the actual proceedure?

Thanks every one

Quote Originally Posted by tabithakat64 View Post
    Have your bunnies coped fine with the actual proceedure?

Mines is chipped from previous owner though i lost the paperwork and nedd to get nee one to change details

Yup. I've had mine done over the course of the last 18 months, and it's like Fort Knox here. I decided to get them done so each time one was due for a vaccination or *other* they were also chipped. FHB did most of them and said that there's not a lot of nerve endings in the part of the scruff where it's done (by way of reassurance that even though the needle looks big it won't felt so intensely).

Cost was about 15 or 16 ish.

Edit to add: When Betsy and Benji were at the vets when Benji was poorly the vet commented on their similar appearance and said we will have to make sure we medicate the right one - is there a really easy way to tell them apart? I said that they were microchipped so that would be failsafe
    Last edited by Bunny Buddy; 28-05-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

No, mine are indoors so I wouldn't. I wouldn't get any of my pets microchipped unless there was a good reason to because chips can migrate and also whether or not they can cause cancer hasnt yet been ruled out. Chances of it are probably slim, but still.

for me there would either have to be a high risk of escaping or thief. Ive considered it for a couple of my cats that are bad about hanging around doors and if they slipped out they would, through fear, turn back into feral cats (therefore they're more at risk of just being considered a feral instead of someone's pet) and I've also considered it for certain future exotic mammals in case they somehow escaped or were stolen. And also if I had a dog that was bad about escaping e.g. most spitz breeds have very poor recall and will run off if they get the chance. So for these animals I may chip them but in most other situations I wouldn't.