• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are your bunnies microchipped?

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Am taking our new girl, Mouse, to the vets this evening (for her vaccinations & health check). Both my other bunnies were already microchipped when I adopted them & I'm considering asking the vets to do Mouse. However I'm not sure the timing is right. Does anyone know about the actual process, whether it is painful etc? Any idea of cost would be useful too.

Are your bunnies micro-chipped?

I asked the vet and our rescue place about this before, and both say it's kinda pointless unless your bunnies could escape, or be stolen. it doesn't hurt them from what I was told, but while our vet would do it, she herself said she thinks it's pointless, and she got rabbits herself. so I didn't bother. will mouse be indoors or outdoors? indoors there is even less need for it.

Nope - don't see the point, if I'm honest! Alf (my bunny) lives inside so the likelihood of him escaping or being stolen is very, very slim.

They are mainly indoor but will have some free range garden time when they are "ready" (currently bonding them). Boo was found as a stray so I'm erring towards getting it done it's just a matter of when

Mines is chipped from previous owner though i lost the paperwork and nedd to get nee one to change details

Yup. I've had mine done over the course of the last 18 months, and it's like Fort Knox here:lol:. I decided to get them done so each time one was due for a vaccination or *other* they were also chipped. FHB did most of them and said that there's not a lot of nerve endings in the part of the scruff where it's done (by way of reassurance that even though the needle looks big it won't felt so intensely).

Cost was about £15 or £16 ish.

Edit to add: When Betsy and Benji were at the vets when Benji was poorly the vet commented on their similar appearance and said we will have to make sure we medicate the right one - is there a really easy way to tell them apart? I said that they were microchipped so that would be failsafe :thumb:

Last edited:
No, mine are indoors so I wouldn't. I wouldn't get any of my pets microchipped unless there was a good reason to because chips can migrate and also whether or not they can cause cancer hasnt yet been ruled out. Chances of it are probably slim, but still.

for me there would either have to be a high risk of escaping or thief. Ive considered it for a couple of my cats that are bad about hanging around doors and if they slipped out they would, through fear, turn back into feral cats (therefore they're more at risk of just being considered a feral instead of someone's pet) and I've also considered it for certain future exotic mammals in case they somehow escaped or were stolen. And also if I had a dog that was bad about escaping e.g. most spitz breeds have very poor recall and will run off if they get the chance. So for these animals I may chip them but in most other situations I wouldn't.

Yup. I've had mine done over the course of the last 18 months, and it's like Fort Knox here:lol:. I decided to get them done so each time one was due for a vaccination or *other* they were also chipped. FHB did most of them and said that there's not a lot of nerve endings in the part of the scruff where it's done (by way of reassurance that even though the needle looks big it won't felt so intensely).

Cost was about £15 or £16 ish.

Thanks BunnyBuddy. It sounds like its worth doing today then if its not painful. They are off to a local vet :oops: - I didn't want to stress them out with a long trip to harrogate & since it's just vaccinations. This will give me a further opportunity to ascertain their rabbit savvyness, I've already interogated them by phone:lol: Got some of that hay you recommended - thank you

Thanks BunnyBuddy. It sounds like its worth doing today then if its not painful. They are off to a local vet :oops: - I didn't want to stress them out with a long trip to harrogate & since it's just vaccinations. This will give me a further opportunity to ascertain their rabbit savvyness, I've already interogated them by phone:lol: Got some of that hay you recommended - thank you

Always interesting. If they are deeply shocked that you want to invest money on a microchip for a rabbit then back away gracefully ;)

Always interesting. If they are deeply shocked that you want to invest money on a microchip for a rabbit then back away gracefully ;)

:lol: I certainly will. They wanted past vet details when I registered them just now & I was almost tempted to refuse for Joey & Boo for the shame of having an inferior vet on their crab lane records :oops: Obviously I'd have not hesitated if they'd had treatment at Crab Lane but so far its been just health checks, jabs & stop overs to keep poorly Noodle company. They have a separate hospitalisation area for buns & made some of the right noises but we'll see.

As they all have to accompany Mouse this evening I can't decide whether it's too risky to pop them all in the carrier together??They travelled that way from Camp Nibble but Boo is still re-earning my trust around Mouse

Nope mine aren't done. They're indoors, upstairs in my bedroom in a pen and my bedroom door is always closed so the odds of them escaping are slim.

If they ever get put outside (unlikely!) then I'd get them done just in case.

Yes Mr Higgins was micro chipped when he was neutered so he wouldn't have felt a thing. He's an indoor rabbit now and is in a run when he's outside but as it was only £10 I thought I might as well get it done. The chance of him escaping or being stolen is very low but if either was the happen he has got the chip.

She's microchipped :) although the vet said she wasn't sure about doing it as she said Mouse was "flighty" . Huh. There was no towel on the consulting room table or scales so she was obviously insecure / flighty. Vet also very amused we took all buns even though 2 didn't need seeing. Health check didn't even include looking at ears or rear end just a peer under her gum to declare her teeth healthy & listened to her heart. I consider this disgraceful as I told her of Mouse's history of past exposure to EC & recent-ish head tilt. So I'll not be back to that vets & am considering writing to them to say why. Grrrrr

:( *Sigh*. How disappointing. Most rabbits owners wouldn't have known any of that was a problem but it just shows how inadequate a lot of the care is out there when a rabbit-savvy owner is observing the examination and knows how it should be done.

Disgraceful. Shortly after I joined RU Esme was given the myxi vaccination by a local vet and the vet had the vaccination on the table ready as we went in and was in the process of asking me if Esme was well whilst giving the vaccination. THEN did a cursory health check. I don't think she administered the 10% part of the vaccine properly either. Needless to say that vet never got to meet any of my rabbits again. So disappointed for you.

Back