• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how does everyone else get their rabbits in

Rita

Warren Scout
hello all

just wondered how you all managed to get your rabbits back into their house.
mine are free range when i come home from work (weather permitting).
but i seem to have a problem getting them back into the cattery after a few hours out on the lawn.
i don't want to stress them out by chasing them.
they don't like to be picked up, they are very happy for me to give them a stroke or ear rub.
my little girl will often put herself back into the cattery, but the male is harder work.
any suggests would be helpful.

We bride Bella out of her run with parsley or pellets. She is tricky to get back in. Toby is quite willing to be picked up and moved, at the moment at least. He's only been with us a week so this could change.

Luckily Bellatrix comes straight away to her name and is happy to be picked up. But I would recommend lots of bribing and waiting! My old rabbit didn't come straight away so I would just sit and wait for her to come to me!

hi Babybella, it was fine when they were kept in a run as they both jumped into their box of hay and i would carry them back to their cattery. but now they are free he runs me ragged. she will go back to eat her goodies, but Mr bunny will run away and i don't want to chase him around the garden and stress him out.
i don't want to stop his days out in the garden as he just loves it, and it is so funny watching him jumping in the air and kicking his legs. i suppose i don't blame him why go back to the cattery when he can have all this freedom. but i do need to get him back in, it's such a problem.

Ours come running back when called but only when they haven't been fed their pellets, one shake of the bag is all it takes... Just don't stand in the way :lol:

:lol: I obviously meant bribe not bride, I don't get her married everyday. Try bribing him outside too? I had to get Bella off the grass once and needed lots of parsley to tempt her back towards her hutch. She became like a little thing possessed eating grass :lol:

We've pretty much trained ours to go back in when you whistle but occasionally it does take two of us and some strategically placed run panels to get them home again.

I call my bunnies in by their names, and they know that they are in for a treat!
Bribery I know, but less stressful than chasing.

My deaf bunny is more of a challenge, but he's so people oriented he loves being picked up and cuddled anyway :lol:

I call my bunnies in by their names, and they know that they are in for a treat!
Bribery I know, but less stressful than chasing.

My deaf bunny is more of a challenge, but he's so people oriented he loves being picked up and cuddled anyway :lol:

Aw bless :love:

I spend hours some evenings attempting to get Joe in so I've no tips :( Boo has much better success than i, she stands at the back door if he is late in & I can only imagine she warns him to get in or else .
Once mine go out I'm committed to staying in for the duration.

Lopsy's got selective hearing: one shake of the treatball and he's there! Call his name and, well, he might think you've got food if he's not eating! Sometimes he doesn't want to follow his ball though, and he's worked out he can reverse down the tube, so we have the block the end with the pen until he's in. I'll be happier (less tired!) when he can 24-7 on the grass!

Doughnut is an indoor bun who has a run outside if it's nice weather. She jumps in her carrier to go out and I put it in the run and she jumps out. I then put the carrier in the run when I want her indoors. If yours won't jump in put a treat in it, they should then happily jump in once they get used to the routine!

They get a treat when they go back in, it didn't take long to train them either, actually only started giving them a fenugreek crunchy to get them in out the rain one day when I was in a hurry, the next day I said come on, bed they ran to the shed, and stood up expectantly! little gits!
In the morning I clink their breakfast (veg) bowls together and they run straight to shed.
Any time they're out I shaked their pellet ball and they instantly run back to shed :) they're really good for it actually, everyone who comes is really impressed haha

Training - start with the treat tub rattle

i used to follow them round the garden shaking the tub and when they paid attention then they get a treat :D small piece not a whole crunchie;)

this them got to if i stood anywhere and shook it they would stop what they were doing and come to me :thumb:

then i stood in the summer house and in they came, my boys are that well trained now if i stand at the back door and rattle the treat tub they either come to me or straight home to the summer house;)

unless the grass is tastier than the thought of the Fenugreek Crunchie :roll::lol: and we try again in half an hour :oops: always allow an extra 30 mins to get them in:shock:

Think I'm gonna have to try Mrsmcarey's way!

With my monster munch (though she's indoor, decidedly easier I imagine) if she's not having any of it, I use my hands to guide to her, so basically I don't pick her up but hand to the side and the other at the back to gently guide her. She usually gives one big grunt when she jumps to her sleeping pad but never says no the extra pat on the head after :lol:

I shake the treat/pellets box! Winston goes straight from the living room to the kitchen and vice versa! He tends to follow me round the house now!

My two get let out free range most days and are so very different!!!

Harvey is brilliant, as soon as I walk towards the house and hide by the garage he comes looking, and as soon as I cone out, he'll come running over & actually sit between my feet, he'll also do that when he's worn out! :)

Now honey is my tinker.. We normally leave a strip of long grass for them to play & hide in.. As soon as she realises I'm trying to catch her, she'll run in the long grass & hide, making it nice & easy to pick her up! Xxx

Yep I use the carrier method too, they (usually) jump straight in knowing they are going to get fed. Sometimes I'm out there for ages if they get one on them :lol:

Back