• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on officially bonding honey & Harvey

Thanks guys, I really don't know what to do.. One minute they are okay, the next he is humping her & circling like mad! I've noticed now though that honey is ignoring him.. So guessing this isn't good! I have now split them, and god knows what I'll do?!?!

They have both had access to everywhere in my house except the bathroom. Do you think it's worth re-bonding them in there at the weekend when I am home?

I can't do it outside as both have had access to my garden too! Really sorry... But I don't know what else I can do?!

I don't want to sound stupid, but I just can't understand why he is suddenly obsessed with humping & chasing, he has never done this, not even before he got neutered!

Please help... Really appreciate any advice xxx

I don't know if anyone mentioned this possibility, but you say you moved things around. I know that changes in a rabbits environment can sometimes spark off hormonal or territorial behavior, so this might be a cause for Harvey's behavior. You could try putting things back to the way they were to see if that helps. After they have been thoroughly bonded for a week or two, then try changing things around to the way you want them. It's still possible changing things again could set off the same behavior, but after a few weeks being settled together, it may not bother Honey.

I've never bonded, so have no advice, but I do hope everything works out. It's always seemed very clear to me that they love each other dearly, but that doesn't prevent some problems occurring. After everything you've already gone through, hell, after half I would have torn my hair out, but you're a wonderful bunny mother and under such tremendous stress you've only seemed to gotten better. Just maybe take a step back, take a deep breath, calm down a little, and try again. I don't think their relationship is unrepairable, it just will take a bit more work.

Hi guys. Thanks is much got your comments, my god I was literally pulling my hair out on Wednesday!!

Anyways, like you suggested I put everything back which meant Harvey having his cage & pen back and he seems to have calmed down. Harvey and his dam cage, he really is obsessed with it.. I am really struggling, I tried moving it to another corner but still in our lounge, and the little sod won't settle until I put it back exactly where it was previously. I can leave the cage in the room & leave both buns out no problem, cuddling up & grooming again. As soon as I move or get rid of the cage, he turns again.. Grunting & humping honey! Any ideas?

I understand he spent 5 weeks in it whilst recovering with his legs, but seriously can rabbits get this attached?

I'm going try & re-bond them properly in our bathroom and see if that makes any difference?! Xx

Last edited:
It sounds like you will have to leave the cage where it is, for now anyway. Some rabbits have change and take ages to get used to something new. Sometimes it's easier just to let them have what they want and be happier. Maybe in a few months you could try to remove the cage. It looks to be a nice big cage and he feels like it's his safe place so I would leave it there.

Hi Tonibun,

Thanks so much! :)

Well I'm guessing he seriously just doesn't like change. Sorry, the cage I'm taking about it one of those tiny 3ft things, I hate having it out but I used it when he was recovering. I've tried a number of times previously to move him to a bigger one but he's flipped out. So I thought, maybe once bonded to honey I'll move both into the x large dog crate & get rid of his cage which just sits next to it always open.

I've noticed during the day, he does like to go and lie down in it, but otherwise he never goes in it. So basically it's just sitting in our lounge although it's never really used. As both are otherwise free ranging!

But like I've said previously if the cage just sits in there. He's absolutely fine, if I take it out.. He goes humping mad! Not that I gave any urgency to get rid of it. But I just don't like it.... Do you think he will ever be okay with it going?

Xxx

Last edited:
Awww it is just like looking at my two only bigger :) I haven't started bonding mine yet, Bella was spayed 2 weeks and Toby gets done at the end of June so waiting until after that.

oh bless them. Harvey is a typical bloke don't touch it, leave it where it is, i might need it later. :lol:
if he likes it, i would let him have the cage there, obviously he did all his healing in the cage so he's bonded with it.

Awww it is just like looking at my two only bigger :) I haven't started bonding mine yet, Bella was spayed 2 weeks and Toby gets done at the end of June so waiting until after that.

Aww... Bless them! Haha, yeah bet it's odd! Well as you can see my two are seriously cheeky & are obsessed with our fireplace! ;) they're about 8 months old now.

I'm sure Toby will be fine & hope your bonding goes well. As you can see I've been having bit of a nightmare with my two as we haven't gone down the normal way of bonding! but hopefully we're taking a good step forward now & they'll be fine! :) xx

oh bless them. Harvey is a typical bloke don't touch it, leave it where it is, i might need it later. :lol:
if he likes it, i would let him have the cage there, obviously he did all his healing in the cage so he's bonded with it.

Thanks Rita,

Yep he's a typical man for sure! ;) and yeah I'll leave it as you say, as he probably feels safe having it there. Xx

Aww... Bless them! Haha, yeah bet it's odd! Well as you can see my two are seriously cheeky & are obsessed with our fireplace! ;) they're about 8 months old now.

I'm sure Toby will be fine & hope your bonding goes well. As you can see I've been having bit of a nightmare with my two as we haven't gone down the normal way of bonding! but hopefully we're taking a good step forward now & they'll be fine! :) xx

Thank you, I shall be asking around on here to get plenty if advice when we are ready to bond them. I'm sure yours will be fine in time, at least there have been times they've been find together so there is plenty of hope :) xx

Back