• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on officially bonding honey & Harvey

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Sorry for another question, but just wanted to ask people's views on how to bond my two buns honey & Harvey!

Although both are now neutered and I'll be waiting another month or so before officially bonding, I am trying to work out what would be the best way to do it!

As many of you may know, my buns are kept separate in their indoor pens, but both are let out together for half hour or so in our lounge where they groom each other & normally share some herbs.

Both have previously had full access to our entire bungalow, but recently we've tried to allow honey access to our lounge only and Harvey full access to our back bedroom only apart from when they are both out in the lounge together. Honey has never showed signs of being territorial and they are fine but sometimes will chase each other before settling down & grooming each other.

I know I probably haven't helped myself, but do you think?

Am I best just to continue with them both coming out and maybe increasing the time together after the next 2 weeks? Keeping them in the lounge and bonding them in there as they both seem comfortable?

Or look to still bond them in a neutral space, maybe the garden? But when bringing them back in the house together, will it be like starting again?

Thanks so much xxx

I'd continue as you are and gradually increasing their time together. It sounds as though that is very likely to work.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for another question, but just wanted to ask people's views on how to bond my two buns honey & Harvey!

Although both are now neutered and I'll be waiting another month or so before officially bonding, I am trying to work out what would be the best way to do it!

As many of you may know, my buns are kept separate in their indoor pens, but both are let out together for half hour or so in our lounge where they groom each other & normally share some herbs.

Both have previously had full access to our entire bungalow, but recently we've tried to allow honey access to our lounge only and Harvey full access to our back bedroom only apart from when they are both out in the lounge together. Honey has never showed signs of being territorial and they are fine but sometimes will chase each other before settling down & grooming each other.

I know I probably haven't helped myself, but do you think?

Am I best just to continue with them both coming out and maybe increasing the time together after the next 2 weeks? Keeping them in the lounge and bonding them in there as they both seem comfortable?

Or look to still bond them in a neutral space, maybe the garden? But when bringing them back in the house together, will it be like starting again?

Thanks so much xxx

Difficult to say how they will react to being together full time! You may find there are territorial issues, but there again, they may settle down together OK.

For now, I would continue with what you're doing, and if there seems to be major upsets, then try the neutral territory and clean the areas they have been using ......

Hi both, thanks so much! Bet you get tired of all my threads! Lol! ;)

Well I know it's only been a few days after honeys spay but she is pretty much back to her usual self, tonight we've had bunny 500.. Back playing in her castle, but of course fully supervised. It's such a relief to see! :)

So tonight they have been out for a whole hour together and just seem so natural round each other, so I'm going do this over the next couple of weeks and see how we go! ;)

Here's the cheeky monkeys;

Someone got a little excited & rolled completely over & Harvey is thinking 'what the hell?!' :lol:

Last edited:
Such cute photo's, the last one is hilarious :lol: I feel you have reason to be optimistic they will bond beautifully, I certainly hope so.

Awwww. Not sick of your questions at all esp. if we get cuuuute pics of your rabbits as well!

Hi all,

Just as a little update I am continuing to let honey & Harvey out together... And all is going well!

When they cuddle up together it's adorable, harvey is forever dropping in front of honey demanding grooming, but honey always makes sure she's gets them back! :love: they follow each other and you. Can tell they love each other so much, I have seen perhaps Harvey try to hump honey twice, but otherwise both have been absolutely fine & when I let them out together they run straight over to each other & Harvey does a binky! :love:

So I am continuing with this! :)

The only issue I am finding is my gorgeous gentle little man is learning the cheekiness from honey very very well and starting to become a first class little sod. It's as if being with honey gives him more confidence which is great to see but, to sneak into my bedroom & pull out a carrier bag from under my bed & go to chew it was so out of character. I stopped him of course, but this was the first time he has done anything like this!

He's managed to move the litter tray from the corner, encouraging honey to then wee on my carpet in the corner instead! - swear that was a planned attack!

When in the treat cupboard, I had honey fussing me, while Harvey jumped in the cupboard & knocked over the bag of forage plantain, so I turned around & both we're busy tucking in!

I was hoovering & both we're investigating as I was doing it, then honey decided to launch herself onto the top of the castle, giving me a heart attack. While I was busy checking she was okay, Harvey has chewed my Hoover cable. (Again, Harvey has never chewed anything since he was a baby)

Honestly, What have I done?! Lol! ;) xx

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just as a little update I am continuing to let honey & Harvey out together... And all is going well!

When they cuddle up together it's adorable, harvey is forever dropping in front of honey demanding grooming, but honey always makes sure she's gets them back! :love: they follow each other and you. Can tell they love each other so much, I have seen perhaps Harvey try to hump honey twice, but otherwise both have been absolutely fine & when I let them out together they run straight over to each other & Harvey does a binky! :love:

So I am continuing with this! :)

The only issue I am finding is my gorgeous gentle little man is learning the cheekiness from honey very very well and starting to become a first class little sod. It's as if being with honey gives him more confidence which is great to see but, to sneak into my bedroom & pull out a carrier bag from under my bed & go to chew it was so out of character. I stopped him of course, but this was the first time he has done anything like this!

He's managed to move the litter tray from the corner, encouraging honey to then wee on my carpet in the corner instead! - swear that was a planned attack!

When in the treat cupboard, I had honey fussing me, while Harvey jumped in the cupboard & knocked over the bag of forage plantain, so I turned around & both we're busy tucking in!

I was hoovering & both we're investigating as I was doing it, then honey decided to launch herself onto the top of the castle, giving me a heart attack. While I was busy checking she was okay, Harvey has chewed my Hoover cable. (Again, Harvey has never chewed anything since he was a baby)

Honestly, What have I done?! Lol! ;) xx

Oh my goodness, you *do* have your hands full :shock: They seem to have hit the terrible twos.
(That's not two years old, but two of them :lol: )

On another thread we were saying how hard it is to keep rabbits well, and it seems you're trying your best to give them the most enriched life possible, at the expense of your own!

I thought it was quite amusing, even the little pee in the corner of the bedroom (most of us have been there - well, not to your bedroom, you understand). But the hoover cable!? Gah!

Reminds me of the time one of my daughters was trying to be helpful. 'I'll mow the lawn Mum!" And she did. For 2 minutes. Then she ran over the cable and cut it ...

Patience Ruthy, patience ... and maybe a strong G&T??

Aww thanks so much! :)

They really are a cheeky pair, they drive me crackers but I wouldn't change them!! :) yeah I did see that thread, and know too well how hard it can get when you have a poorly bunny and worry constantly.

Aww thank you, we'll I can honestly say both these bunnies get spoilt rotten.. And I know I go over the top, but suppose with everything they have been through, I just feel so bad and just want to make them happy.

Well I've had them out all day together today, and they have been absolutely fine and pretty much inseparable all day! :love: so I'm off for another 3 days, if I continue to keep them together all day under supervision, and everything is still all okay? What's next? See how they get on in the large dog crate or keep them free ranging?

Haha, being honest I love seeing how cheeky they are, they have me & mart in stitches some nights & seriously very intelligent rabbits! :)

They are both off back to their vets for a check up tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes - we're going try & get them both free range over the next month.. Then look to move them outside, but all depends on how they'll be as they are very close to us and we're a little worried to how they'd react! So any advice appreciated xxxxx

Last edited:
Going off the photo they look very happy together so try now not to separate them. If you have to move them it might unsettle them a little but they should soon settle.

Going off the photo they look very happy together so try now not to separate them. If you have to move them it might unsettle them a little but they should soon settle.

Thanks so much Tonibun.. Well I have taken your advice and not seperated them since. They are both out free range in our lounge, with an extra large dog crate as their base. both little monkeys ended up sleeping under our bed last night & I had poop in my slippers, lol!, but they have been absolutly fine! :) no humping, no chasing, no nipping! So I'm pretty much hoping they are now bonded?

We are going leave them inside for the next couple of weeks and try to tackle the litter training first before we decide if we are moving them out or not.

Thanks everyone xxx

Thanks so much Tonibun.. Well I have taken your advice and not seperated them since. They are both out free range in our lounge, with an extra large dog crate as their base. both little monkeys ended up sleeping under our bed last night & I had poop in my slippers, lol!, but they have been absolutly fine! :) no humping, no chasing, no nipping! So I'm pretty much hoping they are now bonded?

We are going leave them inside for the next couple of weeks and try to tackle the litter training first before we decide if we are moving them out or not.

Thanks everyone xxx

Sounds as though you have a happy bonded pair of Bunnies !! :D :love:

Thanks both, well we've had bit of a move around yesterday & they are both moved into the dog crate as a shared base.

I've noticed, both are eating but no where near what they normally do.. Is this normal? I'm keeping a close eye, but otherwise both seem to be fine, pooping, drinking, weeing etc. do you think it's the stress of change? I'm leaving them to it now..

Last edited:
Aww they're so adorable :love: Well done on the bonding, especially after all the trauma with poor Harvey. If you do move them outside, I reckon you'll have to put a mantelpiece in their run! x

Hi guys, please help...

Unfortunatly think I spoke to soon earlier as tonight has been awful. Harvey won't stop chasing & humping honey. Absolutly nothing has changed, we left them out both free ranging for the night like we did last night and Harvey just wouldn't leave her alone. Honey jumped on the bed to us and Harvey remained on the floor grunting. What does this mean? Is Harvey being territorial or something more serious?

We had to split them as he just wasn't leaving her alone, please help? Not sure what to do? As I start a new job tomorrow and won't be here to watch them?

Thanks xx

Bonding can be a one step forward two steps back jig! I'm sorry your two aren't all lovey dovey anymore :( i don't feel it's a lost cause though it might work better to switch back to dates? New job & bunny bonding - eek!! What have you let yourself in for? Good luck with the job.

I found Fat Fluffs website useful in getting my head around the heart stopping chasing & depressingly consistent humping. It's all just stuff they have to work out in their bunny way (with you there to check nobody gets over excited). If they are humping the wrong end (Joey is a pro at this) remember to intercept.
From what I've researched its fairly normal for the first few hours to be very peaceful before they decide there is a hierarchy to sort out. Don't lose faith - they'll get there (I hope). Good luck

The bedroom was Harveys room wasn't it? That might be why he's being territorial now. Hope everything works out. They're such lovely bunnies :)

Back