• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can anyone please suggest some ear drops for lopped buns?

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi,

hope you don't me asking, but when I was at the vets with my little man yesterday, they suggested I get Harvey some ear drops, to help him keep his ears clean!

He is a mini lop, and I know some lops are proned to having ear problems.. but as he's a special case, can anyone recommend any they use?

The vets have told me cat and dog ear drops are okay to use, which makes me wary, but what do people think? and that I should do this every 2 weeks or so?

thanks so much xx

Thanks so much both! That's great, I'll get some! :)

So how much are you suppose to put in, just one drop/bit of powder at a time? Xx

So how much are you suppose to put in, just one drop/bit of powder at a time? Xx

Just a couple of drops and then massage the base of the ear for a couple of minutes which will help loosen the wax. You could ask your Vet to show you how to check the ears using an Otoscope. You can buy a basic Otoscope relatively cheaply and IMO they are an essential when caring for Lops. Once you learn (from the Vet) what you are looking for and what is normal/abnormal you will be able to monitor ear health very well yourself and you will know very quickly if a problem is brewing.

You use a very tiny pinch. I sometimes used the handle end of a teaspoon. The powder works it's way down into the ear canal when you massage the base of the ear. The problem with drops is that after you've put them in, they give their heads a good shake (because it's a bit itchy) and the drops fly out again :lol:

Good luck Ruth! x

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate it! I'm going try a powder & a liquid one and see how I get on & which we prefer! :)

I wish I had bought an otoscope for Poppy's ears. Used vet's one a few times but perhaps one at home could have helped me to spot the problem early. What a great idea.

I wish I had bought an otoscope for Poppy's ears. Used vet's one a few times but perhaps one at home could have helped me to spot the problem early. What a great idea.

My vet got me an otoscope and a stethoscope and they have proved really useful :thumb:

Good luck with the ear drops!

If you ever needed one in the future perhaps your Dad still has his. He probably had several over his career.

Please dont think you let Poppy down in any way. Ear disease in Rabbits has no recpect for vigilant Rabbit care givers. Sometimes ear disease strikes regardless :cry:
It is one of my absolute hates as far as Rabbit illnesses go.

If you ever needed one in the future perhaps your Dad still has his. He probably had several over his career.

Please dont think you let Poppy down in any way. Ear disease in Rabbits has no recpect for vigilant Rabbit care givers. Sometimes ear disease strikes regardless :cry:
It is one of my absolute hates as far as Rabbit illnesses go.

Thank you. Yes he will retire soon so I shall nab his equipment then!

Good luck Ruth :)

Hi guys,

Really sorry to bring up an old thread.. But I am using Harvey's liquid ear drops every 2 weeks as he really isn't keen and hates it! But after a trip to the vets yesterday he is starting to have quite a build up of wax.. So I'm going to move this to every week.. But has anyone got any tips as Harvey will litrally shake his head to stop me doing it & for a good 8-10 mins after its in. Plus he will constantly scratch for 2 days after.. I know this is probably a good thing as it means it's loosening up for him, but hate to see him so stressed by it!

Does anyone have any tips to make it easier? Xx

Ps.. I did try using powder, but didn't seem to think it was working. As i would see remains in his ear which again irritated him!

After everything he's been through.. This is in the one thing I am really struging with most bless him xx

Last edited:
Back