• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello, I'm new. Pics added

Hi everyone, :wave:

I am getting two bunnies today for the first time and I am very excited! I have been reading everything I can in order to be able to make my bunnies very happy.

I am getting a rescue Mummy and baby. :love: The baby is coming up to 11 weeks old and Mummy is apparently only 9 months herself!

Could you knowledgeable people help me with a bit of advice?...when I went to view the bunnies at the rescue centre both Mum and baby had access to vegetables, hay and dried food. I thought that babies should not be eating veg at this age so I wonder what to do about that? Shall I just stop giving veg to both? I have hay to feed of course.

Also, I asked what dried food the buns were eating so that I can change them over slowly to what I have bought (Science Selective). They said that they just feed whatever they have been donated so the food is always changing anyway so just feed my pellets. Do you think this will be ok?

I have read that baby bunnies should have access to pellets ad-lib but that adults should be limited. How would this work with them both living together?

I have been reading about foraging and have already been collecting some things (dandelion, goosegrass, bramble, plantain, hawthorn), ready to dry for winter. When do you think I can introduce these into their diet?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be able to do my best for these buns!:D

Thanks

Last edited:
hello and welcome! it sounds like you are super prepared for your new additions :) i can't wait to see some photos when they arrive!

in terms of veg - if mum has been eating them and baby is used to them then it should be fine to continue. for the pellets, when you collect them i'd ask what they are eating at the moment and continue with that for a few weeks. do you think it might be possible to separate mum and baby a few times a day to give the little one a bit of extra food?

Hi Elmoandfern.

Thanks for your reply. At the rescue centre they mix all the food that they receive together in a big bin. There was allsorts in there!

I should be able to separate them a few times a day. Good idea!

I will sort some pics this eve if I can:D

ahh i see! hopefully that will mean that they are used to lots of different foods and your changeover should be fine :D

When I got my Hollie I just asked for a handful of the food that the rescue used and I used that to change over to what I wanted to feed.

Hi and welcome :wave:
You sound really prepared :D look forward to seeing pictures, you'll find being on here really useful, lots of nice people with some good advice!

Hallo, welcome to the forums :wave:

Picture chant once you get them - I'm all excited for you

As the toher guys said, their systems are used to it though if it's all mixed in a big bin I'd maybe ask for a wee sample to help you change them onto the pellets you plan to give. If not, then it should be okay I imagine, just keep an eye on them and provide them with plenty of hay.

With the foraging I'd personally wait maybe a week or so since you're concerned with the pellets and it's a big change the move to a new home :D While I think it would be fine, I'd personally just wait a week or two, let them settle and then start to slowly introduce some new tastes to their worlds!

Thank you all for your replies.
I will keep a close eye on them, if I cannot get any of their current food from the rescue.

I can hardly wait!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Here are some pics.

image%201_zpsulmyyxvf.jpg
[/URL]

Mummy Fawn

Baby Willow

Fawn and Willow
(The little hutch is just a shelter in the run, their real hutch is huge).

They seem to be settling in nicely!

They have both had some pellets and hay and have been busily exploring their hutch and run. They soon got to grips with the pipe between the two!

Beautiful buns. I was told they are lionhead cross. Anyone know what they might be crossed with?

Thanks.

haha those are gorgeous - poor little 'un will need to grow into her fur it seems!

I could easily beieve the lionhead part but I'm waaayy to new to this all to be the one to guess - congrats again and welcome to the world of bunnies... you'll never be bored again if nothing else :lol:

They're lovely! Baby looks full lion head haha suuuuuper fluffy!
Mum looks a little like a Holland Lop whose ears decided not to flop over!

Pretty bunnies :love: The lionhead is obvious but as to the other breed they are crossed with I've no clue

Back