• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smelly Poops

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Sylars poops STINK. Last time we went for nail trim I asked the vet to check him over and she had a good feel, checked his bum and his anal glands and everything looked fine but over a month later it's still the same!
Do neutered Rabbits still do territorial, stinky poops?
I'm gonna stick him on a Hay and water diet for a few days and see if that helps but if not, back to the vets!
They are solid and round but maybe a little on the dark side.
Any suggestions?!

I've only ever noticed it when a bunny is being territorial - and being neutered doesn't seem to make any difference to the level of stink!

What do you feed him, the stinky poops are cecotropes so sometimes it's a diet issue if he's getting too many pellets.

Has he been on the grass recently as it's quite rich and Doughnut is normally a little loose on it to start off with!

Food wise he gets Unlimited Ings Hay, a good handful of Green Oats Hay, Excel Pellets (maybe a few too many), Parsley and Coriander daily. He then gets different fruits/veggies as well depending on what we have in that day, he sometimes gets a handful of grass or dandelion and fenugreek crunchies but I can't say how many because Daddy gets a bit 'treat happy'!!!!!!

I never give him human 'junk' food.

It's his hard, round poops that are smelling, not the soft ones. I've picked a couple of them up and had a good sniff to make sure it's definitely them! They stink out the whole room! I've smelt his bum too and that also smells but not all the time! I've checked him over and there isn't anything stuck to him, they're not runny or messy, they just STINK!

Last edited:
Fruit should be limited to a small piece once a week. I would cut out the green oats hay and the fruit and veg and crunchies. In fact I would probably just give the ings hay unlimited and a egg cup of pellets a day and it should clear up..

I cut out everything yesterday apart from the hays and a small amount of pellets and so far so good! No stinky poops! Gonna keep it up for a few more days and then introduce things back in one by one and see how we get on!

Yes that's exactly what to do. Also I weigh Doughnut every week just to make sure she's a healthy weight. If you are adding anything back I would add fresh herbs in. They are gentle on the tummy. Fruit is high in sugar. Doughnut also gets a crunchie at the weekend.

When you say the green oat hay do you mean alfalfa or just that brand of hay as that is quite rich.

He doesn't really get much fruit at all except for an occasional bit of Apple :/ Its usually spinach, cabbage, courgette and pepper that he gets. I'm just going to add them back in one by one and hopefully find the root of the problem!

Back