• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can this be done? Rehoming friends rabbit...

moonrabbit

Young Bun
I have a male bunny who is booked in for neutering! And the plan is to get him a female bunny for company. I am aware the best way is to take my rabbit to chose a mate himself.... but...

My friend however has a female bunny who unfortunatley cant be let out of its single tier 3ft hutch where it is as the dog tries to get to it and also i dont think it has ever had hay before. (they are not bad people its more complicated situation i won't go into).

If i was to be able to somehow persuade them to give me their rabbit (sounds crazy actually typing that) could they be bonded? I know they could but what i suppose i am really asking is would that be stupid of me? Am i better going to a rescue and leaving this be? Or is this worth the chance they may not ever bond and i could end up with two single rabbits? I couldnt have three as vet bills etc.

Wwyd :(

Edit: i should add they havnt offered me their rabbit so there is that too, i wouldnt know the best way to go about it!! I just cant stop thinking about her.

Last edited:
Poor bunny. Terrorised by a dog and probably never been handled properly. I would tentatively find out if I could get the doe. Mind you, I tend to follow my heart every time. it sounds like poor bunny needs getting out of there fast. Would you have somewhere to keep her while your buck gets over his op? Time and patience usually help a bond. Anyway you WOULD be rescuing, wouldn't you! YOU COULD ALWAYS OFFER TO FOSTER IT.

What would I do? Try my hardest to get that poor little rabbit out of what is, effectively, her prison. You don't mention whether or not she is spayed? I would offer to take her, have her spayed, leave both her and your buck about a month after neutering to give hormones chance to die down, and then attempt bonding. There is no reason to suppose it won't work. As you know, it would have to be taken slowly and carefully, in a completely neutral area etc etc. I'd go for it!

Not spayed or vaccinated :( i imagine needs teeth check it worries me how her teeth would be having previously had a dental bun though i did check her over quickly and couldnt see any desperate signs.

I am seeing my friend thursday, its not her rabbit anymore but it is her parents so i could ask her then to ask them, i suppose im very nervous they will say no!!

It sounds like you are going to be the rabbit's chance of a better life. Not all rabbits who don't eat hay have teeth problems especially if she is still young. Go for it!

it sounds like a wonderful idea! and your friend will probably think they're doing you a favour as your male bunny needs a friend....

Im going to ask send a text to casually enquire, if they say no i will put forward that if they ever change their mind i would happily take her, if they say yes i will prepare the hutch... Fingers crossed!

My Nessarose lived in a rabbit prison in much the same way. She ended up being the sweetest and most loving doe imaginable. I was offered her, but the conditions sound similar. Her original owner actively encouraged the dog to jump in the hutch with her! Again, not bad people, just had no idea what was best for bunny and lost interest in her.

But anyway, I hope that you are able to take the little doe on.

I have asked but still have had no solid response but have not given up by any means so will keep posted when I know the definite outcome!

tlcwrites - it's a very frustrating situation to see isn't it especially when you know they are not bad people by any means just not educated in rabbit care but I am very glad it worked out for your bunny, I have my fingers crossed for this little one too :)

Back