• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arthur and Lilly had a bit of a spat, advice please!

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
It was all my fault, I've been rescuing for every other sunday at a rabbit rescue and when I get him I normally go straight upstairs get changed and scrub my hands up to my elbows at least twice so Arthur and Lilly don't catch the scent of other rabbits.

Today however I went upstairs and got changed but forgot to scrub my hands clean, neither of them noticed for ages then I went and gave Lilly a cuddle and she freaked out, she caught the sense of the other rabbits, felt herself being touched and attacked me, I had my dressing gown on and when I lifted my sleeve she was hanging off of it :shock:

She then went for Arthur and they were circling around and around and she was growling (she is a growler so I wasn't surprised), I separated her, scrubbed my hands, arms and face, sat with her, calmed her down, gave her treats and then let her back out, she went straight for Arthur and then me, then Arthur (basically whoever was moving she was going for :( )

So I put them in their travel carrier with hay and water (it's a catit cabrio so has a water slot in the door) after 1 and a half hours I let them out in to a small area, she ran out turned around and then started lunging at Arthur who was trying to get out of the carrier and freaked him out :( so back in the carrier they went... they've been back in for 15 mins now, don't know where to go from this......

Any advice? I haven't got a small cage I can put them in and Arthur can fly over the puppy panels (the tallest ones available...) but I don't think it's fair to leave them in a cat it cabrio over night?!?! Plus I cannot take the day off tomorrow to keep an eye on them? :/

They're absolutely fine in the carrier, washing each other, washing themselves, eating hay, flopping.... but as soon as they're out Lilly gets all territorial suddenly :( they've never been like this they're very very close usually it's all because I forgot to ways my hands properly :(

If I were you I would get changed into clean clothes maybe have a full shower ;)

You may have got closer today than you think to your rescues :?

Hope they both calm down

If I were you I would get changed into clean clothes maybe have a full shower ;)

You may have got closer today than you think to your rescues :?

Hope they both calm down

Yeh I think a shower would be best, probably have the scent in my hair :(

I know I got very close, but not closer than normal (and by close I mean I was cuddling, fussing, kissing and sitting with other bunnies), just the same as any other time I've been there, but I forgot to wash my hands thoroughly :( last time I didn't wash high enough up my forearm and Lilly got the scent, but she was just very interested and sniffed my intently and that was it... this time I think it was because I came up behind her and cuddled her, which she's usually fine with and she was for a couple of seconds and then I saw and felt the panic rise in her and she turned around and attacked me, I think it was a combination of scent, and being taken by surprise :( I don't mind her attacking me but I'm sad she turned against Arthur :(

I did that when I was bunny sitting. Had separate coats and carefully changed into the wrong coat when I went out to waffles and DP, stroked waffles who then got chased and bitten by Dp. I felt very bad. But it was only fur bites and chasing so I left them to work it out themselves as they squabble like brother and sister sometimes anyway

I have no useful advice but would maybe go for using the pen anyway even though Arthur can jump in and out it might help them settle down. And maybe scatter food to distract them so they forget about weird smells and calm down. And also maybe rub a cloth on one, then the other then the first again to transfer smells?

Good luck. I felt so bad for waffles when I did it

I did that when I was bunny sitting. Had separate coats and carefully changed into the wrong coat when I went out to waffles and DP, stroked waffles who then got chased and bitten by Dp. I felt very bad. But it was only fur bites and chasing so I left them to work it out themselves as they squabble like brother and sister sometimes anyway

I have no useful advice but would maybe go for using the pen anyway even though Arthur can jump in and out it might help them settle down. And maybe scatter food to distract them so they forget about weird smells and calm down. And also maybe rub a cloth on one, then the other then the first again to transfer smells?

Good luck. I felt so bad for waffles when I did it

I forgot to do it because I was disinfecting one section last thing and my hands reeked of disinfectant and I mistook that for clean when really it wasn't clean of bunny scent just probably just not got bacteria on!

I'd been home 2 hours at least before Lilly caught the scent, but when she did she freaked out :( think it was also my fault for fussing her bum, which she normally loves but I suppose something stroking her bum that smells like a dangerous stranger rabbit would freak her out :(

All showered and squeaky clean now, with freshly cleaned PJs on, set up the pen in the living room, they look rather furious if I'm honest! But have been fine with each other! Think Lilly just needs some time to forget that "there was a strange rabbit in the room" hopefully she'll be ok after that...

I've checked Arthur a couple of times for injury and can't see any, think she was mainly angry at me/other rabbit, but had referred aggression to Arthur, she was more aggressive to me than with him

Arthur hasn't managed to jump out yet, the panels are a metre high, if not a bit taller so it is a bit of an ask but he has managed it before, but he was a bit lighter then! He's been running around flicking his feet at me of course :roll:

Hopefully after you shower and change again you bunnies will calm down and be fine with each other.

Thank you! Fingers crossed!

I dont get time to come on here very often but pretty sure I was rescue earlier with you. Good advise on here and sounds like you are doing everything right. If the buns gets over the puppy panels and you need to borrow a cage to restrict the space, give the rescue a ring in the morning and am sure they will lend you something. You could also borrow the one I use as a litter tray as my lot can use under bed storage boxes. If you want my mobile number send me a message or email me at the my rescue address.

Hopefully they will settle soon.

Last edited:
Just as a good bunny should!

They've been fine with each other in their pen and Lilly hasn't tried to attack me since I put them in the pen which is a good move forward! Arthur has nearly taken the whole pen down twice.... he is so strong and determined........

I have scatter fed them to distract Arthur from his destructive ambitions!

I've let them out because they were being nice to each other in the pen, no issues as of yet, they're both very delighted to have their freedom back and are running around, the most exercise Lilly has had in weeks :roll: (she's a lazy minx) she's not being aggressive to me or Arthur so far....

Back