• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mollie piggy has cystitis *u/d*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
can't remember if i post this here or general chat because she's a piggy... but anyway..

my little mollie-pop has cystitis at the moment. seems to be a mild case which we have caught early so she hasn't lost any weight and she's still bright. she started with squeaking during some wee's, with sometimes a little 'groan' on the ends of some. she also has darker urine and had a little blood aswell. she's on treatment now. metacam (0.7ml 2x a day for 5days initially, and marbocyl 0.5ml once a day for 14days)

i panicked a bit when the vets said aidan wasn't in at the moment. but mollie is under the care of another exotics vet there called shiva. i've only seen him once before with maisie when she had her bladder/cyst issues and aidan also wasn't in! he gave maisie good care.

anyway, mollie is being really good with her meds. inbetween the wee's that hurt her, you honestly wouldn't know she had anything! she is really tough and just gets on with things. :love:

Last edited:
Ouch, poor Molls :cry: I hope the treatment gets rid of the nasty bugs and that Molly will soon be 100% better xx

thank you. i don't want to get too ahead as i know how pesky these bladder issues can be, but i feel hopeful at the moment because it does seem the mildest case i've seen with any of mine, and she's generally still well within herself. so keeping everything crossed.

my lot all seem to be taking it in turns to need the vet lately!

i'm a bit more worried than i was now. took her in today to see shiva because she was squeaking quite a bit more, with a painful groan (?) on the end of the squeaking. she's started to drop weight now - from 1005g yesterday to 980g today. no more blood or anything like that, and she doesn't show any major discomfort when having her bladder felt. it's a little tender and swollen but not massively so.

her treatment plan has been changed slightly. now it's:

metacam 0.7ml 2x day for 5days, then 0.5ml 2x day for 7days
marbocyl is staying at 0.5ml once a day for 14days
cerenia 0.16ml 2x a day for 14days

if there is anymore blood or she loses more weight over the next 2-3days, or shows any other signs of getting worse then we have to book her in for xrays at the end of the week to check for sludge and/or stones, and anything else that might be going on.

she is still eating well and has strong gut sounds according to the vet. so she's tolerating the meds well and is still fairly bright within herself. lets hope nothing else is going on and she responds to this course of treatment.

Poor Mollie. :(

That groan thing I associate with stones/sludgey stuff, to be honest. Fingers crossed it isn't and it's just a straightforward infection.

quick update - mollie is already much brighter and back into her normal weight range today. not heard any squeaking today for the first day since last week when she originally started. she grunted twice today though and still has darker urine, but she's muttering 'pop pop pop' to herself, which is her content sound, and she did a little popcorn aswell. we feel she has definitely improved so we're really pleased. now lets hope she continues :)

and she is amazing at taking her meds! :love:

quick update - mollie is already much brighter and back into her normal weight range today. not heard any squeaking today for the first day since last week when she originally started. she grunted twice today though and still has darker urine, but she's muttering 'pop pop pop' to herself, which is her content sound, and she did a little popcorn aswell. we feel she has definitely improved so we're really pleased. now lets hope she continues :)

and she is amazing at taking her meds! :love:

Wonderful news !! Keep on popping Mollie :love:

just heard from aidan. nothing on the xrays - no sludge or stones and no other abnormalities that they can see or feel. they're going to run a blood sample now to see if anything shows up on there and get back to me in an hour or two when the results are back.

That's good news. It might be interstitial cystitis, or however it is spelled, if there is no sludge or infection.

we're back home now :)

the bloods were all clear aswell. everything within the normal range as it should be so that's brilliant. she has been taken off the antibiotic now for at least a week so that she can have a urine sample taken directly from her bladder and have it cultured to see what exactly is in there, and what antibiotics will be the best to treat it with. if no bacteria is found, then obviously it could be inflammation that is her issue (IC) so we'll wait and see. she is staying on metacam and cerenia until that next appointment.

so that is the next step anyway and then see where we are at. vets said mollie wasn't under for long (very light GA) and that she came round quickly, was fairly bright as she has been through this anyway, and she was given one syringe feed of about 15ml this afternoon just to make sure she was getting enough food after having the xray. they commented on her being easy to syringe aswell, which i told them she was :) eta: two xray views were taken of her bladder.

an ovarian cyst issue has been mentioned to me by the vet and that is a possibility which we will explore next after the urine culture and subsequent treatment if things still don't seem to be working and clearing this for her. it turned out to be the issue in maisie's chronic cystitis case about a year ago so definitely something to consider. maisie couldn't shift her chronic cystitis and hcg injections were given alongside the cystitis treatment aswell, after ruling out the usual sludge and stones etc :)

so happy to have my babies back home. both looked so pleased to be back in their cage, and benjie started popcorning straight away! :love: they both did amazingly well today :love:

eta: metacam dose will stay the same. cerenia is 0.5ml 2x a day now, but because it was made with different strength tablets (the 16mg ones crushed and mixed with that syrup stuff)

Last edited:
mollie and benjie have had to stay at the vets tonight. they've tried to get a sterile urine sample from mollie but need her bladder to be full. the first time they went to take it, she did a wee just before! they tried again twice more later on but her bladder wasn't full then either. they said it can be a task getting one, just because they can't give the ga a certain way as obviously it relaxes them and then they naturally empty their bladder.

feel really disappointed that they've had to stay. they're both fine though they said and they'll try again to get the sample first thing. i usually go and get them and take them back in the morning, but they think leave them settled there rather than the journey back to just go again to be there for 8am again. it's a 40min journey normally but even longer at that time of the morning. miss them being here though :(

Really sorry to here about Mollie, I missed this thread. Hope they can get the sample they need. Sorry to ask a really dumb question, is Benji a new piggy of yours ?

Back